Posioned Honey in NZ

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Just wanted to share this news item. It's something I have not heard of before. Not sure if your bees in the States feed on any plants that would have a dangerous effect on honey consumers.
Another person has ended up in hospital after having seizures from eating it yesterday.

Cheers Enjoynz

Source Article

The Beekeepers Association says the rules for producing honey at risk of tutin toxin will need to be reviewed.

Four people have been poisoned from honey comb bought last week from a single producer in the Whangamata area of Coromandel.

Progen Apiaries is now at the centre of an investigation by the Food Safety Authority.

The agency says honey should not be collected for eating in Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and Marlborough in autumn because of the danger of poisoning from bees visiting tutu bushes.

Beekeepers Association chief executive Jim Edwards says the current rules are generally working, but now need to be reviewed.

Read the rest here: Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I'll have to check our tutu bushes for bees. :)

Interesting article though...

I thought you might have utut bushes in the Northern hemisphere!:)
I know the bushes are native to New Zealand, but found it interesting that a bee can transport the poison to their honey production, and only a small amount (1 teaspoon) of honey can have such a dangerous effect on people.
The news last night said 14 people seem to have been affected by it so far.
They have isolated the honey to one bee keeper only.

Cheers Enjoynz