Podcast 1: The Myth of Pulse Palpate (Discussion)

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
CO poisoning presents as cherry red skin, not cyanotic... Right?

Depends who you ask. A guy who works for the state poison control center here, just gave a seminar on HazMat not too long ago. According to him, the cherry red is actually a pretty rare occurrence. Also, if you search around a bit, "clinical" cases seem to confer more of the pale/cyannosis symptoms.

Look for other signs. Dizziness, nausea, weakness, confusion, SOB, pale/cyannosis, headache.

Also, especially in those with a history of, or are likely to have, cardiac issues: EKG!! (Remember the pathogenesis here). Dysrhythmia/arrest is the primary cause of death in individuals who suffer from CO poisoning.

Side note: I couldn't hear anything from the podcast link... It was playing but no sound was coming out. Do I need to download a special player or anything? I've been gone for a while from here so this is new to me. :p

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
Thanks very much for this podcast. I was always taught to take pulse palpation with a grain of salt, this re enforced those concepts.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks very much for this podcast. I was always taught to take pulse palpation with a grain of salt, this re enforced those concepts.

You're welcome, Dale (I mean Rusty).