Playing with fire?

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
I have an odd question.

Several years ago I had a splenectomy due to a traumatic injury. I was briefed on a few of the things I should be aware of that are unique to splenectomy patients as far as things that can cause overwhelming post splenectomy sepsis.

I know I should avoid deer ticks, live virus vaccines, pneumonia and meningitis. I'm sure there are other things that are more obscure but I assume the incidence is so low they don't bother telling us about it.

The question I have is am I playing with fire interacting with the patients we see on a daily or weekly basis? I've been in this business for about four years. I love being a paramedic and yes, I absolutely love being a fireman. But, putting your life on the line for someone who is in an IDLH environment sits better on my conscience than possibly getting sick and succumbing to OPSS over an IFT.

I also know there are things that I can do such as universal precautions to safeguard against this stuff but, the reality is a splenectomy patient just doesn't have the immune system of someone with a spleen.

Thanks you guys in advance. There are several people on these boards that blow me away daily with their level of knowledge and experience. I respect your opinions, that's why I'm asking here.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
But, putting your life on the line for someone who is in an IDLH environment sits better on my conscience than possibly getting sick and succumbing to OPSS over an IFT.

Why other than misguided notions of heroism?

Likely just follow good hand hygeine and ensure you follow dropplet precautions PRN. I've had better luck not getting sick by washing my hands than I did by following the "all gloved up, all the time" philosophy early in my career.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It is a question of personal choice.

Do you have a higher value for the possibilty of a shorter life you enjoy or a longer one you do not?

OP
OP
C

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the response gentlemen. Fortunately I don't believe my happiness is dependent on a job. It may be difficult but I'm certain I can find a job I enjoy almost as much.

phideux

Forum Captain
I got stomped by a horse almost 40yrs ago, resulting in a ruptured spleen that had to be removed. I have had no ill, or bad effects from it since. I rarely ever get sick, like Usalsfire said, good hand hygiene, and using your standard precautions, I don't feel I'm any more at risk than somebody with a spleen. Keep yourself in good shape.

OP
OP
C

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
Funny that yours was from a horse. Mine was from a bull and spur hung in the flank strap.

I don't get sick often either but when I do it seems like it takes me longer to recover.

Last edited by a moderator: