Personal Equipment?

SirensSong102

Forum Probie
So I am just curious. Do any of you medics have your own personal gear that you have either on you or in your vehicle? If so, what is it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I work I have my own personal set of ears, shears, and penlight. When I'm not at work, I don't carry anythign to use on another person. I have a small kit in my POV, but it's for my own use. If I see someone in an accident, I'll call 911 as I drive by.

There are tons of threads on this subject if you search.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I usually keep a diaper bag, a stroller, a couple of umbrellas and a rain coat, as well as a spare car seat in case we want to have a friend come over.

And a pretty well-stocked first aid kit- I use it all the time on my kids and friends' kids.

Usually, though I use the stuff on the ambulance.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
On duty, I carry a pair of Robin Safety Boy Shears and a Littmann stethoscope. Off duty, I carry a cell phone. I make it a habit to not get involved in anything off duty other than calling 911.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
On duty for me is the same as jtpaintball70: shears, ears, and light.

Off duty I keep a mask and some gloves in my car as well as a boo-boo kit for myself, but I'll be using my cellphone more than the others.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Meh, I hardly ever take my ears with me. It's a Littmann and I'm too afraid it will get "misplaced", so it's a rearview mirror decoration incase I get pulled over.

I have shears, penlight, and plastic O2 key I found (as I can NEVER find one when needed)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh, I hardly ever take my ears with me. It's a Littmann and I'm too afraid it will get "misplaced", so it's a rearview mirror decoration incase I get pulled over.
I got my name engraved on the bell of my Littmann.

That way, the thief will always know who he stole it from. :D

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Haha, I'm using a decent set that didn't set me back too much, so I don't have to worry about losing it or somebody taking it.

When I upgrade, I'm going for something in bright pink. Nobody will mistake it for theirs. Easy to see if I ever drop it on a call. Best of all, I doubt I'll have to worry about many people wanting to steal it.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I have shears, penlight, and plastic O2 key I found (as I can NEVER find one when needed)

I always thought they should make that piece of the O2 tanks you turn, just the right size so you could slide it into that rectangular opening on the head of a ford ambulance key....

Charmeck

Forum Crew Member
Shears, penlight, and a stethoscope on duty, also one of those spanish-english phrase books, since there is a high population of hispanics in my area, and they dont speak my language and vise versa.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I use my own ears, shears, and have a few small items in my kit that we don't buy at work. (BAAM, Bougie, etc....stuff that is 'too expensive' to justify stocking). We are required as medics to carry our own purchased bag (again to expensive to buy one for every medic), not all medics have immediate access to an ambulance for supplies. Other than that all the stuff I use is at work.

I stopped carrying my kit in my car, only took 3 months as a medic to realize it was probably a bad idea. Plus I'm too tired (read: lazy lol) to carry my kit, my duffel with my spare clothing, laptop, etc, and my lunch box to my car at the end of shift :p

emt_irl

Forum Captain
i use my own steth, pen torch, glucometer and always keep a tonne of pens as they are forever stolen on me. I just like my own equipment better and i can trust it works as it hasnt been used by 6 other people in the last week.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
i use my own steth, pen torch, glucometer and always keep a tonne of pens as they are forever stolen on me. I just like my own equipment better and i can trust it works as it hasnt been used by 6 other people in the last week.

Sounds good other than the glucometer. I would get the ok from the supervisor before I did that.

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
Off duty- EMS bag in car, station bag in car (gum, extra clothes, etc), and a off duty backup bag (jacket, firemans strap, radio mike). The last bag is for when our fire rehab team is requested since I only use those items at a fire scene.

On duty- Pens, scissors, littman stethoscope, pens, hemostat, pen light, drop leg go bag, and my brain (as needed)

BSI

Forum Ride Along
On duty: I have my own ears with me, I use the bright pink shears on the ambulance, the penlight in the ambulance jump bag, and the Ford key makes a nifty oxygen key in a pinch. I do however have a bunch of pens because I tend to leave them wherever I go.

Off duty: I have a cell phone. I might also have an ETOH prep and a 2x2 or two left in my pockets after a shift, I put them on my dresser where I am starting to build quite the collection.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
...I might also have an ETOH prep and a 2x2 or two...

By "ETOH prep", do you mean an alcohol prep pad? Just asking because those are made with isopropyl alcohol, whereas "ETOH" refers to ethanol (ethyl alcohol).

If you want to use a short form, IPA is to isopropyl as ETOH is to ethanol. But I've only ever seen/heard people use the term "prep pad" in my experience. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BSI

Forum Ride Along
Indeed I do, and I made the same observation at the station, however I was informed that I was rocking the boat as a newbie. Nobody ever writes it or says that, it just says that on the shelf where they are on the rig. One of those bad habits I have picked up I suppose.

Prophet

Forum Probie
Where I work we are required to small pack with us where ever we go (4x4s, 2x2s, tape, bp cuff, ears, etc.) They gave us fanny packs but I bought the 5.11 push pack. Much better! Anyways I leave it in my car when off duty because I also work as a pcf for the local fire dept and often spend times up in the hills with my dad who is also a pcf, and we will get a medical aid or traffic accident where ALS or fire can be 45+ min away, it is nice to have something. He has an 02 bag that the dept gave him to keep in his pov at all times since he is the only responder in that area.