Percom online

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
How about the placement of central lines and pericardiocentesis? Those were taught in my paramedic program. I also wrote my share of scholarly papers, learned how to read and interpret a research paper and my program heavily stressed critical thinking. At no point were we ever considered "substitute ER physicians". Anyone who believes that is a goal of a paramedic program is naive or just a fool.

Unless it has changed since I went through, we were not taught how to place central lines (management of them, yes) or perform pericardiocentesis. Nor did I ever have to write scholarly papers 15 pages in length.

Now there were are a lot of "case studies" in a question and answer format that were around 15 pages each, but you never have to write 15 full pages. My writing assignments for my Bachelors degree were much more intensive.

That being said I still feel that PERCOM is among the top medic programs, at least in Texas. Also, I never heard "physician substitute" being used. Considering the lead Paramedic instructor is an attorney, I highly doubt he would ever say such a thing.

ash90

Forum Ride Along
since we're on the topic of percom here..

I am a new EMT as of January. Just about to get on with a logistics position at an ambulance co. to get my foot in the door for EMT when it opens at that company. Also am currently in the process of getting on with a fire dept as a volunteer, starting out.. I was looking into percom to go ahead and get started on my AEMT until I got on as an actual EMT somewhere.. the cost is about $2700 or so. I was wondering if that's a decent deal? since I'm not actually an EMT somewhere, I don't believe anyone's going to pay for or reimburse a course, but I want to keep my education going and not lose my knowledge and skills while waiting on an EMT position to open up. so is that a decent price for the education I'll be getting?
also, is it silly to go ahead and get started on AEMT without real experience? I just don't want to be stagnant and am really hungry for knowledge in this field. :/

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Percom contact

Hey,

I was able to talk to them yesterday. It looks like they are in the middle of figuring out some big issues over there. It was explained to me that a recent ruling would not let them train people in states that they did not have a medical director for. I live in Illinois and they have no Doc on staff certified for here. THis was the reason they got the CAHEP accreditation in the first place. So essentially this ruling just gutted their business. I guess it was like 3 weeks ago. THis does not affect anyone in texas, but I am sure it is a quite a scramble time there. Just keep calling them. I have heard from multiple people that they are solid. But be patient. They are in the middle if a @#$% storm. Copy?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yep.

"1) The program must have a formal
relationship with a physician currently
authorized to practice in each state where
the program’s students are participating in
patient care, to accept responsibility for
the practice of those students. "

That's the interpretation that just came out recently. Not sure what's going to come of it, and fortunately I'm in Texas, but still.. what a headache that could cause.

i've been really happy with the Percom program as well.

talusmonkey

Forum Ride Along
Yep.

"1) The program must have a formal
relationship with a physician currently
authorized to practice in each state where
the program’s students are participating in
patient care, to accept responsibility for
the practice of those students. "

That's the interpretation that just came out recently. Not sure what's going to come of it, and fortunately I'm in Texas, but still.. what a headache that could cause.

i've been really happy with the Percom program as well.

Im looking to go to Lenoir and they require you to get a physician in your own state to be your medical oversight for clinicals and ride time. Working on that now. Hopefully I am successful.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Why requires you to get a physician to be your medical oversight?