Patient care tech job at hospital or 911 service EMT for a college student?

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Hey y'all, I'm trying to see what's best for me, I'm currently not in school (I go on and off because of financial reasons) and I'm trying to see what job would be ideal for a pre-medical student. I'm not saying I could land any of these two jobs (that would be cool), but which jobs would you advice me to stick with?

Options:
  • Work in the day as a tech in a hospital full-time, night school, and volunteer for a 911 service 2-3 times a month.
  • Work for 911 service (EMT-B). Shifts rotate I believe, 24hr on 3 days off and there is 12hr shifts available too. I don't know if this option would work with my future school schedule, though.
TL;DR What's the best job option for a pre-med?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
As a full-time college student I am working in an ED. I am full-time in the Summers and PRN during the year (~24 hours a month), then I pick up any needs that I am able to in addition to my required 24. I don't think they would give anyone such an opportunity, I definitely feel that I had to earn that kind of acknowledgement from the manager and director, but I believe hospitals in general will be more flexible schedule-wise than an EMS service, be it private or government. Before I got the ED job I had tried getting on with 2 different cities and it did not work out solely because of my school commitment. Because you are "on and off", you'll have to pick the best yourself, since we don't know your schedule.

As well, having the aspiration to go to medical school, having the ED experience with exposure to many healthcare workers of many fields and an extreme diversity of patients will be great for your interview. That said, make sure you want the job. I'm not saying you are, but don't work on a truck or in an ED if your only reason behind that is "to look good" during your interviews.

OP
OP
TheBuffOP

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
As a full-time college student I am working in an ED. I am full-time in the Summers and PRN during the year (~24 hours a month), then I pick up any needs that I am able to in addition to my required 24. I don't think they would give anyone such an opportunity, I definitely feel that I had to earn that kind of acknowledgement from the manager and director, but I believe hospitals in general will be more flexible schedule-wise than an EMS service, be it private or government. Before I got the ED job I had tried getting on with 2 different cities and it did not work out solely because of my school commitment. Because you are "on and off", you'll have to pick the best yourself, since we don't know your schedule.

As well, having the aspiration to go to medical school, having the ED experience with exposure to many healthcare workers of many fields and an extreme diversity of patients will be great for your interview. That said, make sure you want the job. I'm not saying you are, but don't work on a truck or in an ED if your only reason behind that is "to look good" during your interviews.
Since I'm really interested in surgery I was looking at becoming a tech for a surgery unit. If you got any tips on what to add to my resume (clinical ED hours, ambulance clinicals) to land a job as a tech that would be awesome.

It really sucks, but at the moment I really want to work as an EMT on the rig since I have time for it; however, I don't want to end up only working 2 months and then saying "well spring semester is coming, gotta go." Should I ask if their 12 hour shifts can work with a student?

feldy

Forum Captain
Both have different experiences. I would tell you from my own experience to pick the one that will best work with your school schedule. I managed to work 36 hours a week (3 12hr shifts) while i was a full time student in school. So it is very manageable. You get some work done in your down times (if you have any, which i didn't and still don't have that much of). I knew several other people who worked as techs but around here most EMS and hospitals all work around 12 hr shifts so either would've worked. Personally, my experience w/ 911 has been great and you get to see and deal with different things than you may not get in the ED. If you already have offers, see what kind of flexibility there is with scheduling.

OP
OP
TheBuffOP

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
Both have different experiences. I would tell you from my own experience to pick the one that will best work with your school schedule. I managed to work 36 hours a week (3 12hr shifts) while i was a full time student in school. So it is very manageable. You get some work done in your down times (if you have any, which i didn't and still don't have that much of). I knew several other people who worked as techs but around here most EMS and hospitals all work around 12 hr shifts so either would've worked. Personally, my experience w/ 911 has been great and you get to see and deal with different things than you may not get in the ED. If you already have offers, see what kind of flexibility there is with scheduling.
Looks like I'm going to have to go with the tech job. The company I would like to work for (that takes in EMT-B's) is not currently hiring, other companies in the area take in only paramedics or intermediate.

I thought about it and it's better going with a hospital because there I could get a raise by experience, network, and find a mentor (doctor). With a EMS company you only get a higher salary if you have a higher certification, so I think. Nevertheless, I will still do the 24hr EMS volunteer shift on the weekends when I can.