Part time or full time?

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
:)Ok, so i went to EMT advisor in college and asked him whats schedule do they have for classes? He tells me, 17 week morning programm or 2 day a week evening 3 quarter programm. So i tell him, 2 day a week is good for me and he calls me a "not a gogetter". Not a big deal. But then he said EMT_Istudents from that college are in high demand and employers look for hiring them before they even graduate.
So i get home and start analizing: would potential employers look at part time and full time students differently? Gogetter, not a gogetter, is that what they think of you?

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Feh.

Do what works for YOU. How will you be best served? If you're unable to commit to the requirements of the other course, then dismiss it. When it comes down to it, the paper at the end is what counts.

Later!

--Coop

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Sounds like they are having a hard time filling the FT program, so they are trying to guilt you into going FT, lol.

Like the above poster said, it's up to what works for YOU.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wait, what level is this for? 3 semesters 2 days a week? Sounds like (and better be) medic, because the rest can be done in 1 semester 2 days a week.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like they are having a hard time filling the FT program, so they are trying to guilt you into going FT, lol.

^_^Probably, but, anyway, i wonder does Atlanta realy have shortage of EMT-I or was he just bsing me? How long does it take to get a job after certification?

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Wait, what level is this for? 3 semesters 2 days a week? Sounds like (and better be) medic, because the rest can be done in 1 semester 2 days a week.

EMT-I, and just to make sure, i double checked:4 quarters. They do include basic at the begining.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think the OP said it was EMT-I.

Anyway - Take the course that works for your schedule. If you can afford to go to school full-time and have time to study and do any clinical you need, then go for the full-time program. Otherwise, take the part-time class. Remember, you will need lots of time outside class for studying and homework.

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I think the OP said it was EMT-I.

Anyway - Take the course that works for your schedule. If you can afford to go to school full-time and have time to study and do any clinical you need, then go for the full-time program. Otherwise, take the part-time class. Remember, you will need lots of time outside class for studying and homework.

I still need to find out whether they do clinicals 2 days a week too, or inbetween those 2 days...

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
sorry, double reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
:)Ok, so i went to EMT advisor in college and asked him whats schedule do they have for classes? He tells me, 17 week morning programm or 2 day a week evening 3 quarter programm. So i tell him, 2 day a week is good for me and he calls me a "not a gogetter". Not a big deal. But then he said EMT_Istudents from that college are in high demand and employers look for hiring them before they even graduate.
So i get home and start analizing: would potential employers look at part time and full time students differently? Gogetter, not a gogetter, is that what they think of you?

What if you are a basic and move to Georgia? Can you just take the additional course work needed for EMT-I, or do you have to go through the whole basic stuff again?

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
What if you are a basic and move to Georgia? Can you just take the additional course work needed for EMT-I, or do you have to go through the whole basic stuff again?

Hey, if you're asking me, then at college i applyed for, they include basic into EMT-I with option to withdraw halfway through and get EMT-B cert. If you got EMT-b, then you can go for Paramedic, but they do strongly advise to go throught the whole EMTbasic-I thing.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
An employer is probably not going to ask you what format your program was taught in. He cares if you have your cert and that's it! He'll be able to tell by your performance during your probationary period if you know what you are doing or not.

There is some predjudice to different schools, but that is completely dependent on the bias of the employer. It may be a top notch school, but if that employer has had bad luck with students from that school, in a tie, the bad school grad loses out.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Sounds like to me they know that they won't get a job as a EMT Basic. Much better get as much education as you can. Which would you hire, one taking one course at a time or one that is demonstrating sincerity in the profession?.... Guess?

R/r 911

OP
OP
Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like to me they know that they won't get a job as a EMT Basic. Much better get as much education as you can. Which would you hire, one taking one course at a time or one that is demonstrating sincerity in the profession?.... Guess?

R/r 911

Im puzzled, then what did my advisor mean by "they hire you while you still in college"(i thought he was talking about EMT-B job, probably)?I probably should ask him that, but i dont wanna sound like a dummy. You cant work without certificate, for sure. And i do wanna do the whole EMT-I class, otherwise its waste of time.
Plus he said, there is option to get CPR instructor certificate in addition.

Last edited by a moderator: