Paramedic School

awhiting

Forum Crew Member
Hey everybody,

I'm getting ready to apply for Medic school this month. I'm in central-CA and have a few options, but my #1 choice is the school here in my city. The tuition is $11,000......money is tight and I can only imagine it will get tighter while in school. I figure I can get a standard school loan, but does anybody know of any Grants available out there? I am married with a 4 month old.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Aaron EMT-B

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Hey everybody,

I'm getting ready to apply for Medic school this month. I'm in central-CA and have a few options, but my #1 choice is the school here in my city. The tuition is $11,000......money is tight and I can only imagine it will get tighter while in school. I figure I can get a standard school loan, but does anybody know of any Grants available out there? I am married with a 4 month old.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Aaron EMT-B

You could apply for a non-traditional student grant or scholarship.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Thanks....do you know where I could go to get more info?

Fill out the FASFA and talk to the schools financial aid office and they can help you explore your options.

Medic51

Forum Probie
wow 11,000 is kind of steep. For my Associates program for Paramedic it has costed me around 4,000.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
mine is in NY, it was $6000. $11000???

If its accreditted you could apply for federal backed loans. Do they have a finacial services office?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What about the community colleges? California's tuition at state community colleges is only about $20-25. At approx 36 credits for a Paramedic certificate, that is about 1/10th of the private school.

firefighter23

Forum Ride Along
What school

I am also trying to find a medic school to get into and i also live in central CA, if anyone has any recommendations i would greatly appreciate it!!!

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
in alberta, you cannot take the paramedic program without first having your EMR and EMT-A

EMR= 900 bucks + provincial exam and registration
total= about 1600 bucks for the EMT-Basic equivalent

EMT-A=5,500 +provincial exam and registration
total= about 7,000 bucks for the EMT-I equivalent

EMT-P= 15,000-20,000 depending on the school + provincial exam and registration
total= about 20-21,000 for a registered EMT-P

all in all its about 30,000 dollars to become a fully certified paramedic here in alberta, and about a 4 year commitment from beginning to end.

respectively our wages are higher however, EMT-A's starting at about 20-24$ an hour, and paramedics starting at 26-28$ an hour and if you put in your 10 years, you can make 36$ an hour with a major city.

There are LOADS of financial aid opportunities, here in alberta the provincial grants are run through BGS enterprises, I have no idea where to begin in the states however.

4mysins

Forum Probie
Not the only one...

Thanks for posting about Paramedic school. I am currently in the hold position to start it and thought I was the only one worried about it. I am currently trying to get on PRN with a local hospital just so I can get my hands dirty. I have been breaking my neck reading books and looking on line for knowledge but it seems to barely hit the half way point. I have started to review cases and bug the docs I work with. :blush: For the experienced Paramedics... what is the one thing that you see new paramedics in the field not aware of that they should have learned through school?

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Everything is relative. If the school is fully accredited and has a good rep. It may well be worth $11,000. Here it is a good two years of 8 hr days and about $30,000.

Pay a little, get a little, pay a lot, get a lot. There are ocassionally deals and rip offs, usually you get what you pay for.

John E

Forum Captain
If you don't mind moving...

check out the community college Paramedic program up in Santa Rosa, CA.

Tuition is much cheaper and they've got at least one outstanding instructor.

John E.