Paramedic School

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently considering going to Paramedic school sometime in the future. For you guys/gals who have done this I got a few questions. What can I expect when I do go and what were your experiences? And what were the requirements to get in?

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Requirements in our area are pretty simple. BLS experience of at least one year in the field, currently belong in a system as a basic, no pending disciplinary actions, good recommendations. Then you have to knock off the anatomy and physiology requirement but that can be done concurrently with the Intermediate level classes.

What to expect - hard work, lots of studying, many hours of clinicals in hospital rotations, many hours of clinicals in the back of a truck, and like many of us who worked full time while in the P program - not much of a personal life. But it's a great learning experience and a great satisfaction of accomplishment.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I am currently considering going to Paramedic school sometime in the future. For you guys/gals who have done this I got a few questions. What can I expect when I do go and what were your experiences? And what were the requirements to get in?

Expect to either devote yourself to the class, or fail. It's not the hardest thing in the world, but the time requirements of the class are pretty demanding, and alot of people get into the class, put off clinical time until the last 5 or 6 months, and end up not getting the time done. But alot of factors play into this as well - your commute time to your class/hospital, your work schedule, family, etc. If you have a family, make sure you allot some time for them as well...you will be gone quite a bit. But also let them know you'll need their support when things get tough (cardiology is always a class killer). When it is all said and done, it a very rewarding experience and you will be much better off for it.

My personal experience was working 2 full-time jobs, a commute of about an hour and a half to class 2 times a week, and another 2 times/week going there for clinical hours. I was a EMT-intermediate going into class, so I had a bit of knowledge of the first half of class (airway management, trauma, A&P). Our class mandated at least one year of experience at EMT-B, and your card can't expire during class. But no matter how much you may know, you will always learn new things from new instructors...go into class with an open mind, absorb all you can, and learn from everyone. The fact that you want to take the class is a great first step. Just don't forget why you're there - that gets easy to do at times. I wish you the best of luck!

OP
OP
EMTBandit

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys. Great input. I don't expect to go in for at least another year due to some financial issues im working through. But im in college now and in a A&P class now and love it. I've been a basic for 4 years and love it. Can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing, which is why I would love to further my advancement in skills and knowledge. Im not afraid of hard work as long as it interests me as EMS already does. I really hit the ground running as a basic and am fully confident in myself. Which is why I would love to be doing more as a Paramedic. Just hearing your experiences is helping me a lot. Thanks guys.