Paramedic School Entrance Requirements

Tommerag

What day is it?
Hey everyone,

I was curious what did some of you have to do to get into paramedic school? Was it basically first to apply first in? Or was there anything else?

I have an interview tomorrow for paramedic school, along with the interview I also have to take a test, and there is a general Q&A session. They said the whole thing should take about 4 hours.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to do something similar. Just wondering how other schools operate and what you have had to do. Thanks

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I did P-school in NM... We had to pass Pharm (which was a RN level class), Adv Trauma (PHTLS on steroids), Drug Cal, and A&P survey all with a B or better in each class. Get a 79 and you have to repeat the class before you can apply.
After that you applied for the cohort and interviewed with the faculty.

This college... Have a pulse and be at least an EMT-B? I hate it, but it's the closest program to me.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
In the old days you had to have two years as an Ambulance Officer, two years Intermediate Care and win a spot on the year long Advanced Ambulance Aid course or more recently the two year Diploma (Paramedic).

Under our new system you have to have a Bachelors Degree in Paramedicine and an as yet to be defined amount of time as a Paramedic (ILS) before you are able to bid for a spot on the Intensive Care (ALS) course.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
My Reply Copied and Pasted from the other thread.

-------------
I took the MMPI (I appearantly want to be race car driver and have a fascination with door knobs! Love it.)

You were given a score of 1 - 5 by the testing committee based on their findings. This score was relayed to the admissions panel.

----------------------
Had an EMT-IV exam where we were graded on a scale of 1 - 5.

Test Score
-----------------
1 = 80% to 84%
2 = 85% to 89%
3 = 90% to 94%
4 = 95% to 99%
5 = Perfect 100%

-----------------------------------
Interview Panel with Local EMS from surrounding counties including Medical Directors, Service Directors, State Board of EMS members, and even instructors from other programs.

This was the scariest interview I ever had. Nursing school admission was nothing compared to this. RN admission was based on numbers and HESI score. In this interview, you were grilled on various things:

1. Why should we pick you over joe blow?

2. What makes us so sure you arent going to leave ems?

3. Why should we assume you are able to complete such a rigorous program?

4. How are you going to pay for this program?

5. How are you going to get back and forth to class and clinicals? What are your plans for your bills?

God forbid you were one of the individuals who had an EMT license but didnt work with a service. You were treated like dirt (I mean that in EVERY sense of the word). People came out crying. They grilled me about my nursing degree asking,

"Why are you even here? You will make more money as a nurse? What is the point."

I left my interview thinking I would never be admitted because of the fact that I was an RN and they thought i just wanted the degree for show. Fortunately, this was not the case and I received my acceptance letter in the mail 2 days later.

----------------

Also, if you made less than an 80% on your EMT-IV exam, you were automatically disqualified. If the average of all three scores on the 1-5 scale, (The interview score, The Test Score, and the MMPI) was below 2, auto disqualification.

God forbid someone came in with the slightest amount of dirt on their shoes or their tie slightly wrong. It was horrible, and I still have mental scars, but boy it sure was a great program, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of it!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
God forbid someone came in with the slightest amount of dirt on their shoes or their tie slightly wrong. It was horrible, and I still have mental scars, but boy it sure was a great program, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of it!

Was this guy on the oral board? :D

ermey.jpg

DogPoundMedic

Forum Probie
I had to write an essay paper on why I wanted to be a medic, Have a current basic license, with CPR, then a basic interview, just the usual questions on why do you want to be a medic, and they explained how tough the program was and that its a fulltime commitment. All and all it was not bad at all.