Paramedic School and full time job..

Margarida Giese

Forum Ride Along
Education and Training

Just remember that you will need to do clinicals and ride-alongs in addition to class time and homework.

Every school schedules things differently. For me, the first 3 months or so didn't have clinicals or ride alongs, and the material was easy. After that, I had about 6 months of school left. For 5, I did nothing but school and work. I worked about 30 hours a week, did about 50-60 hours a week of clinicals and ride alongs, did about 20 hours a week of school, and then studied any other second I was awake. I had a long drive to where I did clinicals and ride alongs, and my girlfriend (gonna be my wife now), who I never saw, would read flash cards to me at 6 in the morning or at midnight. I rarely slept. The last month of class had no clinicals or ride alongs, but I was focused on passing class, registry, etc. I slept about 4-5 hours a night and literally got mono one week after class was over.

It is definitely doable and I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, you should know what you're getting yourself into. If you work while in school, this is a 7 days a week, no sleep, rarely seeing your friends and family ordeal. I say go for it, but be aware that you will have to make sacrifices if you want to pass and stay in the class.

Hi, joshrunkle35. I guess this sums it all. I have been curious about how this kind of work really goes about clinically. Thanks for sharing your views. You are correct, I agree that in order for you to achieve something in class then sacrifices and even determination are needed.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Oh boy, me, too

Has anyone ever done this? I am 32 and have a full time job but the combination of Lecture, Lab and Clinicals look like they cant be split up and take up 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. Is it possible to get trained while having a full time job? Or will I need to school it full time and rely on my wife's salary for the year? Any input or advice its greatly appreciated.:sad:

Thanks for posting this. I just turned 36, am a career changer, and looking at EMS and eventually medicine as my second career. After undergrad and grad school I have student loans, etc., that requires me to work full-time -- or close to it. So, I worry a lot about going to paramedic school and trying to make the finances work.

Let me know what you learn about making the work-school-life balance work.

Cheers,
E.M.

EMT4EVA

Forum Probie
It can be done with a full-time job, but it's definitely tough. The best advice I can give you is to keep the coffee pot fresh. :) Good luck! :)

Has anyone ever done this? I am 32 and have a full time job but the combination of Lecture, Lab and Clinicals look like they cant be split up and take up 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. Is it possible to get trained while having a full time job? Or will I need to school it full time and rely on my wife's salary for the year? Any input or advice its greatly appreciated.:sad:

Btalon

Forum Probie
Unconquered82, I heard a good quote the other day and can't remember it verbatim, but it had to do with being an emt before medic school and he basically said that being an emt before medic school only helps you if you learn the right way, if you are new and get stuck with someone that is cutting corners and doing things the easy way and learn that, it will work against you in medic school.

It is good to get the experience and have an idea if you really want to continue in the EMS field. Medic school is a big investment to jump into if you aren't sure.

Have you thought about any of the distance learning programs? I currently am in NMETC out of Massachusetts and it is a hybrid course. We have class 2 nights a week for 3 hours, I'm close enough that I travel 2 times a week for practical at the school. It is 10 months of class/practicals and then you go into clinicals and internship in the field after. I currently work with a medic that went through the program and they are an excellent medic. Another co-worker is finishing up on his program and has spoken highly of it.

If you don't live close enough for Saturday travel, they have a 10 day boot camp version that is very good and you learn online, then go and stay for 10 days of practical. After that you do clinicals, if you can't find a site near you, people have stayed longer and done it at sites local to the school.

Something to think about.