Paramedic School and full time job..

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone ever done this? I am 32 and have a full time job but the combination of Lecture, Lab and Clinicals look like they cant be split up and take up 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. Is it possible to get trained while having a full time job? Or will I need to school it full time and rely on my wife's salary for the year? Any input or advice its greatly appreciated.:sad:

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Only a few people in my class had full time jobs through school. Some of their grades suffered, some didn't. We've all made it, though.

I'd say prepare for little sleep and no life.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It depends on your full time job. I know a lot of people who did it and have a couple of friends in medic school with me this year who are doing it.

OP
OP
U

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
It looks as though I can complete the EMT Cert. in one semester and (hopefully) at least get a job doing the EMT stuff while in school for the year long Paramedic education. Just the desk job (7-3, 5 days a week) I have now is not as flexible as I'd like to manage it all. I'm tired of the desk life and know this is what I should be doing. Someone save me from this desk!! :rofl:

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Just remember that you will need to do clinicals and ride-alongs in addition to class time and homework.

Every school schedules things differently. For me, the first 3 months or so didn't have clinicals or ride alongs, and the material was easy. After that, I had about 6 months of school left. For 5, I did nothing but school and work. I worked about 30 hours a week, did about 50-60 hours a week of clinicals and ride alongs, did about 20 hours a week of school, and then studied any other second I was awake. I had a long drive to where I did clinicals and ride alongs, and my girlfriend (gonna be my wife now), who I never saw, would read flash cards to me at 6 in the morning or at midnight. I rarely slept. The last month of class had no clinicals or ride alongs, but I was focused on passing class, registry, etc. I slept about 4-5 hours a night and literally got mono one week after class was over.

It is definitely doable and I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, you should know what you're getting yourself into. If you work while in school, this is a 7 days a week, no sleep, rarely seeing your friends and family ordeal. I say go for it, but be aware that you will have to make sacrifices if you want to pass and stay in the class.

OP
OP
U

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
I guess I should add that I am not even an EMT yet.. I am entering the EMT certification training in the Fall so I'm as "green" as they come. This will be a complete career change for me. If anyone has any input for someone just starting out in school, I'm all ears. Should I complete the EMT and then take a job as an EMT (as if it is that simple)? I appreciate your input!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I guess I should add that I am not even an EMT yet.. I am entering the EMT certification training in the Fall so I'm as "green" as they come. This will be a complete career change for me. If anyone has any input for someone just starting out in school, I'm all ears. Should I complete the EMT and then take a job as an EMT (as if it is that simple)? I appreciate your input!

First, EMT is where you discover if EMS is the thing for you. Some people can pass the class all day long, but they're not right for the job, and some people are right for the job, but can't pass the class. You may discover that you do or don't have a passion for EMS. You might also discover whether you have more of an interest in caring for people, rescuing people or simply the science behind basic medicine or emergency medicine. Some people leave EMT school with the desire to become Nurses, Doctors, Paramedics or PAs, some people are more interested in fire and are taking the course because they are required to. Some people find they are interested in a certain type of rescue and decide that they want to be a really good EMT and that they want to focus their learning on a particular type of rescue. Regardless, a good EMT of any sort, be it EMT-Basic or EMT-Paramedic, places value on continuity of learning. Never stop the learning process.

Secondly, there are a lot of people who will tell you that you need to work as an EMT before paramedic school, and there are some that will say that you don't. Either way, you should realize that EMT and Paramedic school build knowledge, but working the job builds experience. Experience is equally as important as knowledge. If you don't work as an EMT before medic school, you will learn all of your "experience" while doing hundreds of hours of clinicals and ride-alongs. So, you won't be a complete idiot, and you might be better off than someone who volunteers as an EMT, who may not get hundreds of hours of patient contact in a year or two, but it certainly won't be the same as working as an EMT for a while before school.

I went straight from EMT to Paramedic school and then started my first job in EMS after I was a paramedic. About 1/3 of people working have a big problem with that. It's usually very experienced EMT-Bs who have a problem with that. I try to stay humble and ask questions, lean on their experience and then do an excellent job whether I'm doing advanced or basic work or mopping the floor.

If you have your head screwed on straight and you can stay humble, you can do it without working as a basic before Paramedic school, although, I wouldn't advise it. If you have the opportunity to work as an EMT, you should. You should experience what you like in EMS before deciding whether you want to do P-school. Either way, stay humble, ask questions and stay focused on whatever your goals are.

OP
OP
U

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
Josh, Thanks a bunch for your knowledge and advice! I think, as you put it, it would be best for me to tackle the EMT classes and then judge if it's right for me.

I just have this feeling that a work schedule as an EMT is going to be a little more manageable that a 9-5, 5 day a week job if it turns out I pursue Medic school. I have a wife and 2 very young boys at home so obviously this is going to be a big family decision. My wife is an ER Nurse and I've seen/experienced her career for years. I will take this one step at a time. Thanks again

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Josh, Thanks a bunch for your knowledge and advice! I think, as you put it, it would be best for me to tackle the EMT classes and then judge if it's right for me.

I just have this feeling that a work schedule as an EMT is going to be a little more manageable that a 9-5, 5 day a week job if it turns out I pursue Medic school. I have a wife and 2 very young boys at home so obviously this is going to be a big family decision. My wife is an ER Nurse and I've seen/experienced her career for years. I will take this one step at a time. Thanks again

EMT schedule if it's unit days, may conflict with school. If you work regular-part-time like every Saturday and Sunday two, 12 hour shifts, that might be a little easier to do.

OP
OP
U

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
EMT schedule if it's unit days, may conflict with school. If you work regular-part-time like every Saturday and Sunday two, 12 hour shifts, that might be a little easier to do.

The Paramedic school scedule from semester to semester looks pretty uniform.. Mon-thurs 12:30pm - 3:30 pm (lecture) and 4-7 (lab), plus clinicals. As it stands now there is NO way my current job will flex to allow me off 4 days a week lol and remain employed. As an EMT, I could (maybe?) work 12's (8-8 or something?) Or do I have no idea what I'm in store for? My school requires me to take lecture, labs and clinicals all at once. Any ideas how a work schedule as an EMT might fit in here?

epicEMT

Forum Crew Member
It's very challenging but possible. If anything I would recommend trying to switch to part time. Remember you will probably be doing 2 12 hour shift clinicals a week along with school/homework. Also as mentioned before, it really depends on the job you're working.

OP
OP
U

Unconquered82

Forum Ride Along
It's very challenging but possible. If anything I would recommend trying to switch to part time. Remember you will probably be doing 2 12 hour shift clinicals a week along with school/homework. Also as mentioned before, it really depends on the job you're working.

Thanks epic. I just know there is no way my current employer is going to bump me from my full time position into a part time one. I'm almost certainly convinced that if I get a EMT cert and then start medic school I will have to leave that position entirely. I was just wondering how those of you whom are EMT's managed to do that and attend medic school at the same time. It's scary to think about.. and that I have a wife who works a weird schedule in an ER along with 2 kids, if it's even feasible for me to accomplish. Kind of discouraging actually, because I know something is calling me to the field. Maybe I should have taken more thought when declaring a major as a kid and not gone with Computer programming, lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks epic. I just know there is no way my current employer is going to bump me from my full time position into a part time one. I'm almost certainly convinced that if I get a EMT cert and then start medic school I will have to leave that position entirely. I was just wondering how those of you whom are EMT's managed to do that and attend medic school at the same time. It's scary to think about.. and that I have a wife who works a weird schedule in an ER along with 2 kids, if it's even feasible for me to accomplish. Kind of discouraging actually, because I know something is calling me to the field. Maybe I should have taken more thought when declaring a major as a kid and not gone with Computer programming, lol

I went to paramedic school three nights a week four hours away while working 48 hours a week or so. I saw my apartment maybe oncea week. I lived at the station. I dont know how I would have done thag with kids, but mine is also an extreme case

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
One more thing to take into consideration is that every school schedules stuff differently. For example, around here, a community college program is 3 semesters in length. That's 12 months. You go 8am-1pm for clinicals or ride alongs (alternating days) and 1pm-6pm for class. They start clinicals on day one. You do homework at night and on weekends. If you fail out, you restart the semester you failed. This school has very low test standards and then while most pass the registry eventually, it doesn't have a high "first time" pass rate. The school I went to was in the same area, but 9 months long. They waited about 3 months into school for you to start clinicals so that you could actually do stuff during clinicals. You had to finish clinicals a month before the end of class, so you had about 5 months to do all of your clinicals rather than 12 months. Because it was 9 months and not 12 months, the material came at you faster. They had harder testing requirements. Consequently, more people got kicked out of the program. There was no option to restart portions of the class. It was much harder to get through, but every person passed registry on their first try.

One type isn't necessarily better than another, they're just different. You should look into the specifics of different programs in your area. Some might be easier than others to work and go to school.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
First, let me disclose that I'm in the camp that thinks you work as an EMT before you go on to medic school.

The reasons I think you should are a few fold:

1) Until you actually work in the field, you don't really know if you have the passion. EMS is very much a career choice fueled by passion, god knows we don't do it for the money. I've seen many people come in thinking that EMS is going to be the great love of their life, only to discover that they don't really like it all that much after a few months. I think you're way better off discovering that when all you've got invested in it is the EMT course, both because it's easier to walk away at that point, and because medic will burn you out a little before you even begin.

2) I think that running straight to medic makes it harder to be a good medic, it doesn't make it impossible, but I think that even 6 months of working as an EMT gives you a foundation to build upon when you're in medic school that makes everything easier. I absolutely know good medics who ran straight through the schooling, I just think they had to work way harder to make it there.

3) Pretty much every service out there will bend over backwards to work with your schedule in medic school. That sort of scheduling flexibility will make your life much easier if you want to try to work full time. (Note: There won't be nothing easy about it, medic school is fairly brutal when you're working full time, and if you want to actually see your family in there, you're gonna learn to love caffeine.)

4) Some employers, possibly even most, though certainly not all, will pay for part or all of your medic school in exchange for a contract to work for them for a certain amount of time after.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone ever done this? I am 32 and have a full time job but the combination of Lecture, Lab and Clinicals look like they cant be split up and take up 8 hours a day, 4 days a week. Is it possible to get trained while having a full time job? Or will I need to school it full time and rely on my wife's salary for the year? Any input or advice its greatly appreciated.:sad:

I worked 50+ hours while going to P school. Numerous other folks in my class not only worked full time, but had kids.

I guess the only difference is my class was night school based, from 6-10pm.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
First, let me disclose that I'm in the camp that thinks you work as an EMT before you go on to medic school.

As an FTO I can tell you there is one thing that separates good paramedics from bad paramedics: the will to be a good paramedic.

There is zero difference in how many years they spent before medic, what certs they held, where they came from, how tall they are, whether they're a man/woman/child, online program, college program, night school etc.

The only time I've seen it matter is if the paramedic school is of a particular poor quality. Those require you to do field time to make up for their inadequate educational program.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
When my work partner was in medic school he was working full-time during the overnight shift. Ran 0-5 calls a night so we had time for sleep. Then he went to class during the day. Think he only did 2 or 3 days a week for classes though. It obviously can be done, just depends how much you want it.

If I decide to go through with Paramedic, I will be working full-time or real close to it.

The good thing about being an EMT is that there is usually at least a couple hours a shift where you are just sitting around. Use this time to study or catch up on sleep!

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
As an FTO I can tell you there is one thing that separates good paramedics from bad paramedics: the will to be a good paramedic.

I don't disagree with you, but did you go on to read the rest of my post, particularly point 2?

2) I think that running straight to medic makes it harder to be a good medic, it doesn't make it impossible, but I think that even 6 months of working as an EMT gives you a foundation to build upon when you're in medic school that makes everything easier. I absolutely know good medics who ran straight through the schooling, I just think they had to work way harder to make it there.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't disagree with you, but did you go on to read the rest of my post, particularly point 2?

I did, I just think that is because their paramedic schools were subpar or insufficient. In the very rare instances experience in the field as an EMT will help in paramedic school. It shouldn't be necessary nor should it separate those who are good from those who are not. We value experience over education for the most part, and that's a problem.