Paramedic Ride outs

dschambers3

Forum Probie
I am going to be starting my fire department ride outs, July 1st. Any preceptors out there have any tips/advice to share? Thanks.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
wait...is this for fire or EMS? cause i can only offer advice on one.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Have an open mind, as you will be working with various practitioners. Don't try and own up to anyone, except yourself. Willingness to work, attitude, being knowledgeable and friendlyness goes a long way!!

Good luck and enjoy!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
1. never say "i know".
2. remain eye contact with the one in the back of the bus not to get in his/her way.
3. dress professional.
4. unless your associated with the department don't claim to be.
5. ask all the questions that you would like, but never question the proctor when with a patient.
6. ask if can can help when arriving on scene, (they'll usually tell you whats to be expected and what you are to do before every call.
7. bring enough money for food.

thats all that i have for now. Good luck.B)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Remember that the people you are going to ride with will have different attitudes toward carrying a student with them. A lot will depend on how understaffed or overworked they are. If they are already stressed by the workload, the addition of a written evaluation of a student, plus the added responsibility of watching out for you may be a hardship for them. Different personality types will handle this differently.

Don't assume, that because you get a less than warm reception that its either the medic's a jerk or they don't like you. It probably has nothing to do with you at all. Unless it happens everywhere you go, with every medic. Then it might be you.

Also, good tip, if its your first shift on a rotation, bring donuts and be early.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Remember to be humble enough to take criticism!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Also, good tip, if its your first shift on a rotation, bring donuts and be early.
I've got to reinforce this. We've got a student at the place where I work... his first day, he brought donuts... everyone joked about it (because we've all heard that advice in some form)... but it went over well.
As for food... at least for the first day...bring something to eat.... maybe just granola bars.

DON'T show up late. I get ticked off if I leave base, get breakfast, get to my office where we post for the day, and then have to turn around and go back for a student because they showed up 30 minutes late.

Don't assume anything. Additionally... if your preceptor asks "do you have everything you need for the day"... that may mean that you won't see the office for the rest of the day. You might be in a system with remote posts or even SSM. Have all your school stuff in some sort of bag/backpack... if it is kept on the rig, it will be less "in the way".

BRING YOUR TEXTBOOKS... espicially any guides for pharmocology, EKG, trauma, and ACLS. Expect to discuss it. Spend your downtime on school-related things, don't just sit and watch TV. Don't sleep...even if everyone else is.

If you don't know something... don't try to BS me. If you aren't sure... say so... if you have a guess, but aren't sure... say "I think____, but I'm not sure". Many preceptors will talk you to the right conclusion, if you are willing to listen.

Additionally... you need to show progress over the time of your ride-time. If you are making mistakes at week 1, that's probably cool. If you are making the SAME mistakes at week 5... that is probably a bad thing.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
When people say "early", it doesn't necessarily mean a few minutes before the hour. Some jobs require their crews to show up on average 15 minutes before the hour for crew change.

When they say "early", they mean early for them. A good rule of thumb is 15-30 minutes early for the crews you'll be riding along with.

For example: On my ground service, shift change is at 7:00, for both 12hr and 24hr shifts. Crews are to show up at 6:45-6:50 - give or take. I would expect to see you there at 6:30. AM or PM doesn't matter. The same goes for both.

You are to show up dressed, ready for work, with books, open eyes, open mind, open ears. When I say "dressed", I don't mean uniform starched with major creases, but you should be washed and wrinkle free. Just use common sense. You'd be surprised to see how many don't use common sense.

I also shouldn't have to find you if we get a call. Always be ready to go on a call. In other words, be near either the truck or the crew at all times. Using the bathroom, sleeping for 24hr shifts aside, use common sense.

If there are certain things your instructor will and will not let you do, I would need to know what those things are so I don't make you do things you aren't supposed to do and not let you do things you are. We don't like surprises. So active communication is key.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
To add on to MSDelta:

If you need to use the bathroom: MAKE SURE your preceptor knows where you are... espicially if you aren't given a spare pager to carry.

If you smoke: Find out where it is acceptable to smoke, and make sure you can get back into the building. Same thing goes for letting your preceptor know

If you go shopping, etc... make sure you stay with your preceptors. Wandering off is REALLY bad and will get you left behind, and probably sent home.

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
Advice from a fellow ride-along

In addition to all of this wonderful advice, relax and try to enjoy the experience. I realize it varies on location/situation, but the crew I work with is wonderful. Whatever attitude you put into this is the attitude you'll get out of it. I went into this with a ready-to-learn, happy-go-lucky, but always-remaining-professional attitude, and in return I got nothing short of great support and some great mentors.

So here's the recap.

1. Relax.
2. Learn as much as you can without being an inconvenience.
3. Maintain an open-minded attitude.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Have an open mind, as you will be working with various practitioners. Don't try and own up to anyone, except yourself. Willingness to work, attitude, being knowledgeable and friendlyness goes a long way!!

Good luck and enjoy!

Well said by Ops Paramedic. Njoy the rides