Paramedic pay

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Reaction score
What a B.S. article. One should NEVER examine EMS as a per hour profession if they know anything about the EMS profession. I can tell they have not investigated it very well.

Sorry, I know of services that pay $18 hr but only pay 16 hr of the 24 hour shift then overtime after midnight. So one can see the variables. as well look at the cost of living in comparison. For example an apartment in my location is about $400 a month where in other areas maybe $2000 a month, so that $25 hr is the same as the $10 hr. For example my state is listed as the lowest per hour but we pay more per year or comparable than many states per year.

Sorry, I have viewed many of vacancies and pay. I have yet seen any place offering $35-50 hr for Paramedics with their job strictly being a Paramedic. Now, that might be available after 10 years of service with the company. Again, a poor representation. JEMS has a pay comparison every year, and these numbers do not correlate.

In regards to job vacancies, Paramedics are in shortage nearly every where except where most Fire Services require Paramedics as an requirement. Usually, they associated Paramedic mills and flood the market....hence they cheapen the pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah those figures show $18/hr for paramedics. Does anyone think if the country gets universal healthcare that the pay will increase? I think it is sad that paramedics do not get paid more than that. I work in the telecommunications field and I make good money, but maybe its because I have been doing it for 10 years. My type of work starts out at $40K a year.

It is a really attractive pay for someone straight out of high school though, who likes the field.

Actually I look for Universal Health Care will actually reduce the pay. Government jobs usually pay is lower than the private sector, albeit some good benefits such as more holidays, retirement, etc.

Even as one of the lower paying states (according to the article) we start Basic EMT's off at mid $30K with no experience and that is for 10 shifts a month, and insurance for the employee, and retirement of matching 5%.

R/r 911

Mine pays a pretty unimpressive hourly wage, but has an unlimited opportunity for overtime at 1.5x pay. Which means you have EMTs making 8.50 an hour, but netting around 50k a year.

That being said, here, you can get a two-room apartment for 600 dollars/mo.

In my area cost of living is really cheap, seems similar to R/r's area. Our medics start at 12.xx/hour but the way their schedule works it's just under 40k/year working 9 days a month and without picking up extra shifts. If you pick up one extra 24 hour shift each week (on your 2 day weeks only) it will get you close to 60k/year.

My last service paid between $15 - $23 per hour for medics. 24/72 rotation (i.e. 7-8 shifts per month). With minimal OT, which is easily done on this rotation, I would bring in around $65-70k. Not bad for the Houston cost of living......................

Back