Paramedic Challenge

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't comment on how testing and certifications are done in the US as I am in Canada. However, here we just had a medic come back to service after almost 5 years away. He was 2 months from having to go to school all over again. He just got his application in, in time. As it was he had to take weeks of refresher training to be certified again. I also know a Dr. who has been away from practice for over 10 years and has to do at least a 2 year refresher to requalify. My sister has her RN but hasn't worked for 20 years. It would almost be faster for her to take a 4 year Bsc. than to requalify.

The bottom line is that no matter how smart or good you are or were, it has been too long a time away. You have to start again. Your previous experience just means it should be easier this time around. Best of luck.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I am going to say the relative ease it was for me to pass the various ALS classes I have mentioned. I know that is going to tick people off but it his the honest truth.

It is the truth, I agree with you there. But then again, my 10 year old daughter could take and successfully complete an ACLS and PALS class. It isn't rocket science and you can't fail them anymore (see, yet another change from 14 years ago).

It seems like in a perfect world there could be a series of tests one could take to establish a baseline and see where their strengths and weaknesses are. You then apply that data to a class structured or design for those who completed ALS a while back and need a tune up. In theory this could be a 4-6 week course that would bring a pre-medic up to speed.

However while the above suggestion for a course makes sense to be and to perhaps even some of you readers, sadly no course exists. The closet course that comes to this would be a mill. Is a mill the perfect answer, no way at all. However mills are the only viable option aside from taking a real Paramedic class, like you all have done and like how I did in 1996. The school I went to in 1996 will always be my Medic school. A mill is something I had to do because the situation warrants it.

It is not sad, nor does any "situation" "warrant" it. I believe very few professionals out there would agree with your conception of the perfect world. Honestly, all I am continuously hearing is how you JUST DO NOT WANT TO DO ANOTHER PARAMEDIC COURSE! I know quite a few people who did a medic program more than once for whatever reasons life presented. You are not unique or special and you deserve no consideration above what any other applicant for certification should receive.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It would be a true shame if people out there actually believed that this a$$hole who wants to test actually cares about people and wants to make a difference.

What is truly a shame is that you don't see if you truly cared about your patients and wanted to make a difference, you'd swallow your pride and go to a GOOD paramedic program. Medicine has changed in the past 14 years. Heck, it's changed since I've been in school! You can't possibly learn all you need to know and be proficient in your skill set from a simple refresher and a few alphabet courses. The refresher is there for people who have taken the course recently, not way back when.

A great paramedic knows that medicine is always changing and education is very important.

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
I don't know a whole lot about the mills but in looking around I have formed an opinion. One clearly would benefit more from a full year like course than a mill. If a person is a Basic and wants to become a Medic, a mill would be the last place to go. I agree a mill is 100% fast food.
Im sure basics that have trained and worked in recent years prolly have a better grasp on todays ems than someone that went to school 14 years ago. If anything you would benefit more from a full year course.

terrible one

Always wandering
Really? The ones in my area are 1 year of pre-reqs + 2 years of classes/clinicals.

Schools all around the country will have different requirements. Some here have pre-reqs adding up to a year but many only require an EMT card and then only satisfy the 1,000 hours of school in two semesters

ERMedic

Forum Probie
Wanna take the NREMT-P test? Heres an idea....GO TAKE A PARAMEDIC COURSE, PASS THE CLASS AND THEN TAKE THE DAMN TEST! Stop crying and do it.

Trauma Chaser

Forum Probie
your not even an emt......or a first responder lol....a lot has changed in the last 15 years buddy!!! your better off taking the 2 years and starting over. i did the same thing you did only to the emt level and decided just to start over to be a paramedic....its all worked out but i was glad i redid the 6 month emt class.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Several posts have been removed from this thread.

Please keep it on topic and remember our first rule: Be Polite.

The CL Team will be watching this thread closely.

Last edited by a moderator: