Pain free stick and shots

Hastings

Noobie
Better late than never.

Hastings, you seem to have the attitude that, just because your service doesn't carry it, it's not neccasary. As well, that because you have short transport times proper patient care isn't neccasary. This is a horrible stance to take, and will only cause you grief in the future. Not to mention (this may be wrong, if it is then ignore it, or just consider it a blanket statement for anyone new to the field) that some of your posts seem to indicate that you are new, like maybe a year new, to the field. If this is the case then your attitude is doubly bad; now is when you should be rounding out what you learned in school and learning all the things that you didn't pick up. This is the time when you should be learning all you can, not getting dead-set in your ways.

Medicine changes, almost on a daily basis. And many services will carry equipment or do things that yours does not. To discount these things because you don't do them, or don't think they are neccasary is setting yourself up for failure, both as a paramedic, and as a person.

I'm not refusing to use a tool that is available to me because I'm a sadist or stubborn. We don't have it. I'm simply justifying not having it, and explaining what I believe is the best patient care techniques in the absence of what I believe to be unnecessary tools (unnecessary, because I've had no situations where my a patient has been unhappy with my method).

Great, they work for other people. And if they were available to me, I'm sure I'd put them to good use. But since I don't have them, I've adapted and developed ways of minimizing the pain in other, non-chemical ways. They're listed in previous posts.

As well, that because you have short transport times proper patient care isn't neccasary.

Proper patient care in the absence of the drugs you're talking about and short transport times has been mentioned enough times by me. It includes only attempting once, attempting only if necessary, and giving the patient an opportunity to understand the reason for starting an IV and to refuse. That is EXCELLENT patient care, and I believe that 100%. I give my patients the best quality of care, and I don't need these extra drugs for that.