Otoscopes and Ophtalmoscopes

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
I really don't want to get into a discussion about a particular scope of practice -- but are any services carrying otoscpopes and ophtalmosopes on their rigs?

Canoeman

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i have never seen one on an ambulance. nor have i ever found myself in need of one.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
No need for one on a primary response ambulance..............If operating in a remote environment, say offshore, then yes i can see one being utilized, but for 911, no.................

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Very few medics actually knows how to use them and knows what they are looking for, then we will discuss the values...

R/r 911

russ899

Forum Probie
I agree with the posts above, in all my years on ambulances and responce vehicles, there is no need to have otoscpopes and ophtalmosopes on any EMS vehicle.

However in a remote clinical / field environment there is a need and can be used well to assist in further diagnosis of minor ailments and injuries, not EMS related.

One needs to be trained correctly in their use.

It also goes to say that seeing something, helps nothing if one is not qualified to treat and perscribe the required meds.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Very few medics actually knows how to use them and knows what they are looking for, then we will discuss the values...

R/r 911

I have no idea how to use them.