Orange Cross to Star of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney_Fife

Forum Crew Member
Lets dig into the pages of history, late sixties. Of all the things people PM you about, I've been asked what my orange cross means. Does anyone take the time to learn about where EMS has gone, to get to where we've come?

The orange cross was the symbol of EMS, albeit only for a short time when EMS was born. Occasionally, you see it in old movies, or on periodically correct antique vehicles. I guess the Red Cross didn't like that idea.. and so we ended up with a blue star. I know what that means, but with out Google-ing it, does anyone else know what the Star.. of Life.. stands for? What each point of the star stands for? That's your homework.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Lets dig into the pages of history, late sixties. Of all the things people PM you about, I've been asked what my orange cross means. Does anyone take the time to learn about where EMS has gone, to get to where we've come?

The orange cross was the symbol of EMS, albeit only for a short time when EMS was born. Occasionally, you see it in old movies, or on periodically correct antique vehicles. I guess the Red Cross didn't like that idea.. and so we ended up with a blue star. I know what that means, but with out Google-ing it, does anyone else know what the Star.. of Life.. stands for? What each point of the star stands for? That's your homework.

Detection
Reporting
Response
On scene care
Care in transit
Transfer

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
300px-Star_of_life_parts.svg.png

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'd rather people's homework be more directly related to patient care.

A symbol is meaningless, and it changes. Doesn't matter what it stands for if your patient care sucks.

creative_soul

Forum Crew Member
Are religious symbols meaningless? Or any other symbol that gives people faith and hope? This symbol represtents what we as ems providers commit to, stand behind, believe in, and do our best to practice. How can you possibly see that as meaningless?:sad:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Are religious symbols meaningless? Or any other symbol that gives people faith and hope? This symbol represtents what we as ems providers commit to, stand behind, believe in, and do our best to practice. How can you possibly see that as meaningless?:sad:

Religious symbols are meaningless to me, I'm an atheist. ;)

Symbols to me are meaningless. You can plaster them all over, change them to fit your fancy, but it does not mean a darn thing. Do you really need a symbol to tell you what to do and how to be an EMT? If you had no star of life, would you be any less of an EMT?

8jimi8

CFRN
Religious symbols are meaningless to me, I'm an atheist. ;)

Symbols to me are meaningless. You can plaster them all over, change them to fit your fancy, but it does not mean a darn thing. Do you really need a symbol to tell you what to do and how to be an EMT? If you had no star of life, would you be any less of an EMT?

EMT-Paramedic is also a symbol, is that meaningless?

just checkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.