Opiate withdrawal..

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I'm doing homework. But this isn't really part of it. I have this huge list of symptoms for opiate withdrawal that I memorized, all hunky dory and everything... Insomnia, muscle aches, headaches, high BP, vomiting.. I get all that..

Runny nose and sneezing is on this list. In fact, it's on every list of opiate withdrawal. What causes it? I'm just curious because it seems like such an odd withdrawal reaction.

I understand that the itching opiate USE causes is part of a histamine release, but opiate use doesn't cause a runny nose... Only the withdrawal does.. But why?

Walter Sobchak

Forum Probie
No.idea why, but i have an acquaintance who is a junky (we were "friends with benefits" when she was clean and semi sober) when i am around her and she is coming off a bender, runny nose is first symptom. also adverse to water, being touched, and serious poop attacks. I have had to stay with her a couple times while she was dopesick, its pretty frustrating to see someone like this and then go right back on it. She uses Suboxone, Heroin, and different pills (hydrocodone up to Oxy). She always displays the runny nose and watery eyes right before she gets sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A cholinergic response due to up-regulation of cholinergic receptors and withdrawal of the anticholinergic effects of the opioid?

Just a guess.