Online/hybrid Paramedic Program Success Stories?

softballchiq99

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am currently debating between Percom an Lenoir's Paramedic program and I would like to hear from people who have successfully completed either program.

How hard was it to find local clinical sites? How many required clinical hours?

How hard was it to find a job and get reciprocity in your current state?

I am currently stationed in Washington with my husband and looking for advice on which program to choose. I see that Lenoir is drastically cheaper and it seems too good to be true.

Thank You

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm signing up for Percom very soon . there are no clinical sites in my area. Percom sent me a form that is contact information of the education coordinators of the hospitals and it takes about a month to get things rolling. With that being said, you also need to take percoms a&p course and take proctored test. Not sure if I can take it through the local community college here or I have to drive 5 hours to abilene. Tuition includes books uniforms and everything g else needed, not sure about physicals and etc. That is an unbiased answer since I haven't hear of Lenoir

Edit: first half of class requires 168 hours (72 of those are rides) and I think the second half is around 240

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

softballchiq99

Forum Ride Along
I already have college A&P I and II completed.

VA Transport EMT are you EMT-b or intermediate? Is percom completely Self paced or structured?

medic2100

Paramedic
I am currently enrolled at Lenoir CC. The price point was also something that made me question it. However, the state of NC regulates the amount a community college can charge for EMS education, due to the fact that the state pays for all EMS education for in-state providers.

The program overall I have no complaints with. It is structured with weekly assignments, they work with you to get a clinical site in your area. It isn't for the faint of heart I will say, it is very fast paced and be prepared to work hard. Your required 3; 4 day on site classroom weeks that you participate in skills and your PHTLS, PALS, and ACLS courses. However it has been rumored that it is changing to 4 times, however I am not sure how true that is.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

OP
OP
S

softballchiq99

Forum Ride Along
Medic2100

I can't message yet on here so if you could message me with contact info that would be great! Is there any word on them being officially accredited? They have had the letter for the in process stuff for a while, what if they get denied before your or I would graduate? What are the clinical/ride along hour requirements?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Ok so as long as the school had the letter of review for a day while you in the program you will be able to test for the nremt and you'll be able to get you wa medic. Also they do clinicals with central pierce fire and with the multicare hospital system.

GJMEDIC

Forum Ride Along
I really don't know much about the two programs you have listed, but I just finished the online paramedic program through NMETC. Finding a clinical site wasn't that hard, I just had to track down the clinical cordinator at the hospital and it was easy after that. After all my clinical hours were finished I took the National Registry and applied for a state license. Pretty painless.

bwashburn

Forum Ride Along
I really don't know much about the two programs you have listed, but I just finished the online paramedic program through NMETC. Finding a clinical site wasn't that hard, I just had to track down the clinical cordinator at the hospital and it was easy after that. After all my clinical hours were finished I took the National Registry and applied for a state license. Pretty painless.

How did you like the didactic portion of NMETC? I have been considering them and they have clinical locations near me.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member

When did you do this program? According to http://www.caahep.org/find-an-accredited-program/, I can't find NMETC as an accredited program for NREMT purposes needed as of 1/1/2013.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I'm signing up for Percom very soon . there are no clinical sites in my area. Percom sent me a form that is contact information of the education coordinators of the hospitals and it takes about a month to get things rolling. With that being said, you also need to take percoms a&p course and take proctored test. Not sure if I can take it through the local community college here or I have to drive 5 hours to abilene. Tuition includes books uniforms and everything g else needed, not sure about physicals and etc. That is an unbiased answer since I haven't hear of Lenoir

Edit: first half of class requires 168 hours (72 of those are rides) and I think the second half is around 240

I am assuming your from Virginia Percom is based in Abilene, Texas. That's a little further than a 5 hour drive my friend.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I also believe the proctors test is done electronically over the Internet known as a "webinar" where they can see their students and you can see the proctor. I know this because I work with people who went through percom's classes.

GJMEDIC

Forum Ride Along
During the didactic portion, the class met twice a week online for a live lecture. After 8 months you fly out to their training center in Boston for the skills portion. Clinical hours are started after you return home from completing skills part of the program. I was very hesitant to enter into an Online paramedic program, but knowing that it is not self paced and you have live lectures with real instructors put my mind at ease.

EMSComeLately:

I completed my clinical hours in December of 2013 and passed my registry 3 weeks ago.

Mookie

Forum Probie
I start with Lenoir on 17MAR14. I've done my research and remain confident in the program. I'm currently an AEMT in SC. This programs offers me the only opportunity to get to medic. I work a full time 9-5 in the mfg sector. The only negative to me are the 4, 4 day sessions on campus. They run M-T. I'm burning up all my vacation time. It would have been nice to have sessions that Thur-Sunday. I'm excited. FWIW. I'm 53. It's never too late. :rolleyes:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I also believe the proctors test is done electronically over the Internet known as a "webinar" where they can see their students and you can see the proctor. I know this because I work with people who went through percom's classes.

Yep. That's how they do the exams. You're one on one with the proctor for the testing session.

I completed my AEMT (P1) through percom while I was in Iraq and it worked out great for me. I would already be finished with the Paramedic (P2) class, but I ended up doing a bunch of other out of town work that got in the way of things.

I know that some people hate the mere thought of an online class, but for many others, it's a fantastic idea and works great. It's certainly not a shortcut class either. I regularly compare stuff with a co-worker that's doing a local brick & mortar college program, and I think that we're getting more in-depth on some stuff than they are.

Another plus for me: Instead of "Ok class, we're covering X today, and Y on Thursday and there's a test next Tuesday" I can spend as long (or as little!) as I need to go over X & Y until I understand them six ways from sunday, upside down and backwards. Aside from the program length itself, the added pressure of scheduling school around work is significantly reduced. College programs? Miss 2 classes because you have the flu, you fail out. Hybrid? You can sit in front of your computer and look at the exact same Powerpoint slides while eating chicken soup in your fuzzy pajamas.

When I finish the program, I can get the college credit for it (they have a program set up with another school in the state) because it's the exact same curriculum that another college is using! It's been a win-win-win for me.
Before anyone even thinks of calling me a shill, look at how many posts I have and how long I've been here. Just throwing that out there.

So I'm a success story for at least half of it, and soon to be one for all of it. :)

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an FTO and have mentored many Lenoir CC students. Basically, be prepared to redouble your efforts after you leave the program. You won't be as prepared and you'll be behind most of your peers who went through traditional classroom programs.

This doesn't mean you'll be a bad paramedic, I work with plenty of fine graduates of Lenoir...they just worked their ever-loving butts off to get there. They had to work twice as hard as providers out of other programs.

(...the dirty little secret is every paramedic comes out of school unprepared for the responsibility they're given.)

GoNoles01

Forum Probie
Lenoir Paramedic

Hi I have graduated from LCC medic program and I highly recommend it. It does require you to put in a lot of work but what program doesn't? I feel it prepared me well to be a medic and yes you will need to study once you graduate but you should be doing that anyway! They require 500 hrs of clinical 300 ems 200 hospital and you set up clinical sites in your area unless they have already been set up which is not hard and the staff is very helpful. This is a great program for people who can self learn so to speak they give you all the tools but you have to put in the work to use them to your advantage. If you need to be in a classroom being spoon fed the material than this isn't for you. I hate when people bash this program when they have personally never experienced it. I'm sure there are some medics that come out that aren't the greatest but I have seen plenty that come from brick and mortar schools that aren't either. This program is no walk in the park most medics I would let look at my work when they question the program scratch they're head and say wow we never went that in depth! Plus they are not like most cert mills that will pull you along to get your money my class started with 21 students and 3 of us finished which I hear is not that uncommon. I passed national registry and the NC state test both on first attempt and have been a medic for 7 months now. I feel pretty confident in my abilities but like I said I still try to learn more everyday because we all have room to improve. I say go for it I was bashed the whole time I was in the program saying I wouldn't be a good medic because of it but since graduating that has stopped,I enjoy proving them wrong lol, I have since recommended and had about 6-8 people take it so far and they like it too. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Mookie

Forum Probie
I ran in to a small problem with LCC. There is no agreement between the school and South Carolina DHEC/hospitals that would allow me do ride time and clinicals. I would have to go to NC to do both. It's not a deal breaker but it would be much easier to stay close to home. I will say this. The staff at LCC has been in contact with me. They are good at returning calls and emails.