Online EMT-P advice??

perimedic

Forum Ride Along
In a nutshell: There are 2 tracks to paramedic.

1. From zero to paramedic: 900 hours total.
2. Step method (most often used): EMT-B 165 hours, bridge to I-99 550 hours (total 715 hours), bridge to paramedic 400 hours (total 1115 hours).

The I to P bridge is primarily more hours A&P and geriatrics, and more hours clinicals.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I have used hybrid programs for both my nursing assistant license and now my EMT-B certification. I think a hybrid program can be done and I think it's best done by someone with a medical background (which you have). However, in an earlier post you said you can't really be away 2-3 days at a time. All of the Paramedic Hybrid programs I'm familiar with (PERCOM, Somewhat Lenoir Community College, NY Methodist etc) require you to have extensive skill sessions (4-7 days at a time, 3-4 times during your studies there)...This doesn't included other required clinical hours. I know you say you do almost everything a Paramedic does...That's great. I've met some incompetent doctors, paramedics, etc but, unfortunately you're not really going to find a bridge program that doesn't require those skill sessions. You never know there MAY BE just a skill you haven't learned or perfected yet as an Intermediate that is covered in those sessions...That's the point in having a bridge program--to close the gap. I've met LVN's who knew how to do a lot of what an RN can do but, they still learned something new when they transitioned into their RN studies. I'm a huge fan of Hybrid programs...It allows those of us who must work full-time to still accomplish our goals but just know any legit bridge program will require hours upon hours of skill sessions/clinical training. You'll need more than 2-3 days off from the job that pays the bulk of your bills to complete this training. I hope you find something that works for you!

I can be away several times but just not every week.

OP
OP
VirginiaEMT

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, according to NREMT, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the paramedics I work with, we are medics. And all the career paramedics I work with do not treat me as a second-class citizen. My I-99 course was paramedic-based. As VirginiaEMT stated, with the exception of a surgical crich, we have the exact same SOP that paramedics do (and in some areas, with additional training, our individual OMDs will allow surgical crichs). Furthermore, I-99s are so valuable to Virginia that they are not going to phase them out when they are nationally replaced by AEMTs; they will remain a valid certification above AEMT. There ARE some places in VA where a paramedic earns more, but in a state served by a huge population of volunteers, the additional year of school and $3000 in tuition/books is prohibitive.

That said, the Medical College of Georgia is a major training facility for federal medics and is planning to offer on-line paramedic courses, according to my paramedic training coordinator. One will have to travel there to demonstrate practical skills sometime in the process. I was told that if I did decide to move to paramedic, that could be an option (as I'm an operational employee on 24-hour emergency call nation-wide and school attendance is difficult).

You are correct and we are considered medics in this area and can perform surgical crichs too. This is agency based.. The paramedics that I run with treat me as an equal too.

VCU has a good paramedic school too but you must do ALL of your clinicals at MCV and these places are 2 hours from my house. I would like to find a hybrid program that would allow me to do my hospital clinicals at a local hospital that they have contracted with. Lenoir College does this. I can go away several times for a few days each if necessary because I work for myself but I can't commit to driving to MCV 2 times a week and then driving all of the way to Richmond for my hospital time.