One more question?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
could be difficult to interact with patients, their families, and your coworkers

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
As KEVD said, there is significant interpersonal interaction. You also have to be able to handle chaos, schedule disturbance, and to be able to be relatively comfortable with all types of social situations. Without knowing exactly how bad your symptoms are, we can't say whether you personally can handle the job.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks for your interest. Alike what others described, it depends on your degree of infliction. Repeated behavior or loss of train of thought, cannot be tolerated in EMS. Seconds and a very clear thinking is a must. Critical thinking skills are now being heavily considered in employment issues, as performing multiple mental and physical tasks at once.

I understand your disease process, but I would discuss with my physician about the possible limitations.

Good luck,

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would do some soul searching on why you would want to do the job. I do know an EMT/FF who has a mild case of Arsbergers. He is capable of doing the work and he is one of the smartest people I have ever met, but the discomfort he endures having to deal with so much up close and personal social interaction makes me wonder why he stuck with it so long.

If you are choosing a career that is going to be a part of your life for a long period of time, I would look at something that would be more comfortable for you.