Older but new EMT working IFT in Dallas, is this bad for my career? Can I have a career?

OP
OP
T

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
Thanks for all these recommendations.

Being a paramedic in the PNW actually does sound pretty good to me, hence reading up on KCM1. I would be very happy to hear more about it, but it would obviously be awhile before I could even apply

Okay another question: if I was looking for 911 employment beyond Medstar and AMR what's a good way to look up who else is operating in my area? So far my best has just been to google jobs, but is there somewhere I can see who actually handles EMS and for where?

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Goggle the county then add EMS at the end so for example "xxxxxx county ems."

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Ellis County is AMR, right?

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Sign me up!:cool: Oh wait I gotta learn how to he a paramedic the only way there is though...

I think the pomposity that seems to go along with it is a huge turnoff off for me, but to each their own.

I am very familiar with Harvey and his ventures with nothing but respect. Harvey Hall is literally the last of a bread of what a good privately held Ambulance company should be. His model of what EMS is truly eye opening. I'm just surprised he never took over Liberty in Ridgecrest or Symons in Bishop, or Delano. I kinda judge privately held Ambulance companies off of his model. As far as KCM1 I have a good understanding of their business model. I just disagree with KCM1 trying to reinvent the wheel by making medics go through their own "special" medic program. It makes for less innovative and out of the box thinking for providers in my opinion. I view it as there is the wrong way, the right way, then the KCM1 way.

Come on guys really.. If you get hired anywhere, you are going to go through a probationary/training period to assure that you can practice within there scope and expectations. Also every where you go has "their" way of doing business that you will be expected to up hold, this is not a new concept and is seen everywhere. I also have yet to meet a paramedic in the Medic One system say that there way is the only way and if anything the one thing the system prides itself on is being able to practice medicine in the way you best deem fit (obviously within a set of guidelines). I feel like a lot of this stigma is based on rhetoric and or He/She said. I have no problems with people being critical of our system. It is far from perfect and it is obviously not without it's flaws, but it is kinda of amazing how much everyone "knows" about KCM1 and they haven't even done something even as simple as a ride along.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Come on guys really.. If you get hired anywhere, you are going to go through a probationary/training period to assure that you can practice within there scope and expectations. Also every where you go has "their" way of doing business that you will be expected to up hold, this is not a new concept and is seen everywhere. I also have yet to meet a paramedic in the Medic One system say that there way is the only way and if anything the one thing the system prides itself on is being able to practice medicine in the way you best deem fit (obviously within a set of guidelines). I feel like a lot of this stigma is based on rhetoric and or He/She said. I have no problems with people being critical of our system. It is far from perfect and it is obviously not without it's flaws, but it is kinda of amazing how much everyone "knows" about KCM1 and they haven't even done something even as simple as a ride along.
Yes, really. Look, you seem like a nice enough fella so I will say this.

Sure, you do make a lot of good points, no I haven't worked in or around their model, nor have others who have "blasphemed" your service, but when you have multiple providers throughout the country having never encountered or interacted directly with this service, and still having a taste of "we're better than everyone else" even hundreds, or thousands of miles away---to me?---this speaks volumes.

I get the rumor mill, and don't feed into it, and agree I am sure you all have got your ish together far more than many other services, and certainly more than my entire states-worth of EMS systems. With that said, rumors often spiral out of control, but are often spawned from sporadic little truths. I have not seen or heard anything relatively new in terms of "rumors" being spread either, it all seems like the same kind of stuff.

I have met a KCM1 paramedic who unfortunately was very arrogant. They're everywhere though, not just there. Like I mentioned in another post, if I grew up in the PNW I would have probably had a better understanding, and/ or reasons to pursue them, but I personally wouldn't move there for that type of culture. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Also, you need to understand it comes across as very much an "elitist culture", whether it is or isn't is a huge turn off to many clinicians that would probably otherwise provide excellent care there, which seems far from just "doing it their way". But hey? Clearly they're not hurting for people:). That also says something about them and not in a negative light.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm just not a fan of someone like me for example who goes to paramedic school and theoretically gets hired at KCM1 just to go back to their medic school. Yeah, no thanks.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
I know about KCM1 from my time doing research on their model and delivery method. I have had conversations with their operations and they always where condensending when I questioned why they do it that way in a polite information seeking way. I came in with the idea of trying to take a couple things from KCM1 and learn why it works for them and how it could be useful to other agencies. I believe they wouldn't get half the crap if they didn't come of as better then everyone else. It dose not help them one bit.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Also probationary and training period is different then making Paramedics redo a whole Paramedic program cause you don't think their paramedic program is sufficient. What's so different no indoctrination and kool-aid in other Paramedic programs?

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, really. Look, you seem like a nice enough fella so I will say this.

Sure, you do make a lot of good points, no I haven't worked in or around their model, nor have others who have "blasphemed" your service, but when you have multiple providers throughout the country having never encountered or interacted directly with this service, and still having a taste of "we're better than everyone else" even hundreds, or thousands of miles away---to me?---this speaks volumes.

I get the rumor mill, and don't feed into it, and agree I am sure you all have got your ish together far more than many other services, and certainly more than my entire states-worth of EMS systems. With that said, rumors often spiral out of control, but are often spawned from sporadic little truths. I have not seen or heard anything relatively new in terms of "rumors" being spread either, it all seems like the same kind of stuff.

I have met a KCM1 paramedic who unfortunately was very arrogant. They're everywhere though, not just there. Like I mentioned in another post, if I grew up in the PNW I would have probably had a better understanding, and/ or reasons to pursue them, but I personally wouldn't move there for that type of culture. It just isn't my cup of tea.

Also, you need to understand it comes across as very much an "elitist culture", whether it is or isn't is a huge turn off to many clinicians that would probably otherwise provide excellent care there, which seems far from just "doing it their way". But hey? Clearly they're not hurting for people:). That also says something about them and not in a negative light.

I just wanted to say I can appreciate your thoughts and perception I understand that is everything. But when your perception becomes someone else's opinion, and that persons opinion becomes the next.. Well I am sure you get the drift, and for that I would like you and others alike to know that I don't harbor ill will about you, your thoughts or your opinions. Just in the same token I can't idly sit and read without speaking a opinion of my own. I know that I can't speak to what this department was 20,10,5, or even 1 year ago for that matter. What I can say is that what I once heard (Here on EMTLife) what it was, is not what it is. Being a new poster to these forums and having a clearly bias opinion I understand that others will and should hear me with a grain of salt, but I would like to take this moment to welcome anyone to come and see what we are for themselves. Please feel free to contact me if your in the area and interested. Thanks;)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I just wanted to say I can appreciate your thoughts and perception I understand that is everything. But when your perception becomes someone else's opinion, and that persons opinion becomes the next.. Well I am sure you get the drift, and for that I would like you and others alike to know that I don't harbor ill will about you, your thoughts or your opinions. Just in the same token I can't idly sit and read without speaking a opinion of my own. I know that I can't speak to what this department was 20,10,5, or even 1 year ago for that matter. What I can say is that what I once heard (Here on EMTLife) what it was, is not what it is. Being a new poster to these forums and having a clearly bias opinion I understand that others will and should hear me with a grain of salt, but I would like to take this moment to welcome anyone to come and see what we are for themselves. Please feel free to contact me if your in the area and interested. Thanks;)
Yup, no hard feels at all. To each their own.