OJT for Orientation?

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
So I just got my B cert last month and have joined local service as a vol for the experience and education. I was supposed to begin a "skills" session at the first of the week(going over basic dept procedures, equipment we werent made familiar with in class, dept specific protocols), but hurricane call-out cancelled it. My training officer indicated I was to do this a couple of times to get prepared to be "put on the truck".. Just found out today that I will be doing this Friday AS I ride along 3rd person in a unit. Of course I will have a FTO. I am very excited and a little nervous. I was curious if any of you on here had the same experience, getting you in a unit right away. I am firm believer that OJT can be a good thing. Any of you old hands(respectfully) have any good advice, words of wisdom on the matter? Much appreciated!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Don't be afraid to jump in and get your hands dirty. Take the initiative and don't wait to be told to do something. If the truck needs washed, start washing it. Be the one that gets supplies to restock. (This helps in two ways - you are showing that you are willing to do what needs to be done AND it is giving you a chance to become familia with the station and your truck.) Be open to feedback (both the positive and the negative). Don't be afraid to ask questions, but use common sense about when to ask those questions. While some questions are ok to ask in the middle of a run, others are not and need to wait until after the patient is dropped off and care is transferred. Good luck, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!! This is the best job in the world, and you will have the privilage to be present during peoples' most private/distressing/emotional moments at times. You can learn something from every run and every patient, if you choose to do so.