Oh no - I got into an accident today. Help?

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. Well, I've wanted to be a paramedic since before I could drive and I always knew that I wanted the best driving record possible, for obvious reasons. So since I started driving I have followed all laws and have never gotten a single ticket. I did get pulled over once though for expired tabs but I explained that I was actually on my way to pick up new ones and I had just got paid. ANYWAYS

Yesterday my cousin and I were on our lunch break and we were going down one of the main streets in town and there are two lanes going in each direction and a center turn lane. I was stopped in the center turn lane to go left and was waiting for peds in the Xwalk for about 30-45 seconds (there were quite a few of them). So I was about 5 feet behind the crosswalk since most people are usually halfway past it and the peds clear out and I move my car forward about 5 feet so I am now just to the crosswalk and I am waiting for another ped to cross the street in the road I am going to turn onto and all of the sudden,WHAM!

I don't know if the guy behind me assumed I was going to keep going or what but he got me pretty good. I drive a Cavalier and he was in a 99 Chevy 4x4 and my trunk was about halfway up my back window and my bumper pretty much broke into about 7 pieces. His air bag didn't even diploy and the only damage he really got was a broken license plate frame.

So here is where some of my questions come in......

#1) I've seen several EMT applications and every one that I have read has asked if I had been in an accident within the past 3 years. Should this affect my chances at all? The L.E.O. said that it was in no way my fault since I was waiting for a pedestrian. And on top of that the guy that rear-ends someone else is usually at fault anyway just for the fact that he shouldn't have been following so close.

#2) I dialed 911 but I felt pretty guilty in doing so because I know that at any point there could be a serious injury somewhere else and the dispatch would be busy talking to me about a fender bender. As an afterthough should I have dialed the operator and asked for the city police station? I just told the dispatch I was in a minor accident and not to send a bus or truck.

#3) My neck is KILLING ME! Ha, I know pretty much everybody claims the infamous lawsuit/neck injury after getting hit from behind so I did't complain. And I didn't feel it until much later, but I guess I got a pretty good first hand lesson on the type of neck injuries one can get from a real accident. They claimed to only be doing 5 mph so I can only imagine what a good 35 would do.

All in all I guess I came out ahead since I learned a couple of things. lol.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Go to your doctor ASAP. Consider an ER if you are in extreme pain.

OP
OP
B

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
I really don't think its hurt. It's more like the muscles are sore. The pain isn't getting any worse. In fact I've been putting ice on it and rubbing it and it is getting better.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah...I agree with Bstone. I'd get it checked if I were you.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree with others, the only true way is by a professional examining you. Even if you did not receive fxr.'s you may have received "whiplash" type injuries, that can have lasting effects.

If you do not follow up within a timely manner, you may loose all your benefits from the insurance company.

Get it checked out.

R/r 911

Renegade2070

Forum Ride Along
I feel ya. I got rearended on the interstate yesterday by a car doing 35+ and I was at a dead stop. Fire rolled up looked at my damage and the Captain and one of the engineers said I couldnt be injured because there wasnt enough damage. Not gonna lie I wanted to shoot him. I've been in a few accidents and I've never been thrown around like I was in that one between the seatbelt and the head rest which doesnt sit right anyways. Not to mention previous shouldner/neck injuries from judo, wrestling and MMA. Their reaction definitely pissed me off and I refused transport. The way they were commenting and snickering within 5 ft of me was pure BS and definitely unprofessional. I didn't want anything to do with them so I took myself to the hospital where I work and got checked out.

I've never been like that around a patient in the field or in the hospital. Definitely changed my opinion of Phoenix Fire.

Bottom line never feel bad for using 911, especially with head and neck injuries. We just lost a 6 yr old the other day in our ED because he came in after hitting his head riding his bike. According to the triage RN and everyone that saw him, he was still running around being a kid in the waiting area. Less then an hour later he was dead from a bleed.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Fire rolled up looked at my damage and the Captain and one of the engineers said I couldnt be injured because there wasnt enough damage. Not gonna lie I wanted to shoot him. I've been in a few accidents and I've never been thrown around like I was in that one between the seatbelt and the head rest which doesnt sit right anyways. Not to mention previous shouldner/neck injuries from judo, wrestling and MMA. Their reaction definitely pissed me off and I refused transport. The way they were commenting and snickering within 5 ft of me was pure BS and definitely unprofessional. I didn't want anything to do with them so I took myself to the hospital where I work and got checked out.

Well they certainly sound like an educated group of people! :rolleyes:if circumstances weren't so that you were injured and pissed at the time, I would say you should have been the only one on scene laughing...at THEM...

how terrible.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Now, I will say I may not endorse their behavior but as well, until you roll upon 5-10 "Allstate" accidents a day, understand their viewpoint too.

Sorry, I too get very irritated at the "oh my neck" with impact < 5 mph; with the local ambulance chaser attorney on speed dial.

Sorry, you were treated like such, but I can assure you that you just reinforced their ideas. The usual opinion is if one refuses treatment in such event, then apparently were not hurt bad enough. Sorry, that is what the courts think too.

Again, not condoning their behavior by far, but as well most on this site rarely respond to 8-10 MVC's a day, that are usually B.S.

R/r 911

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Now, I will say I may not endorse their behavior but as well, until you roll upon 5-10 "Allstate" accidents a day, understand their viewpoint too.

Sorry, I too get very irritated at the "oh my neck" with impact < 5 mph; with the local ambulance chaser attorney on speed dial.

Sorry, you were treated like such, but I can assure you that you just reinforced their ideas. The usual opinion is if one refuses treatment in such event, then apparently were not hurt bad enough. Sorry, that is what the courts think too.

Again, not condoning their behavior by far, but as well most on this site rarely respond to 8-10 MVC's a day, that are usually B.S.

R/r 911

yeah but I have to say...speaking from experience a rear end 35mph+ is a respectable speed for neck damage. granted when it happened to me in the backseat of my mom's car, I had no headrest.

Renegade2070

Forum Ride Along
Ive rolled up on my fair share of accidents too. And I'm well aware of their viewpoint. Just because I dont drive my car in my bunker gear or EMS attire doesn't matter.

Renegade2070

Forum Ride Along
And like I said I refused treatment because of their attitude and comments. Not because of the lack of injuries or concussion I was diagnosed with.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ive rolled up on my fair share of accidents too. And I'm well aware of their viewpoint. Just because I dont drive my car in my bunker gear or EMS attire doesn't matter.

Okay, I am wondering why one would be "rolling up on accidents"..if they are not a firefighter, EMS or LEO ? ... Is a fair share > 200 or 2000 a year? ;)

With your history I would recommend x-rays, like I described. Most minor accidents are now manually cleared by the physician in the ED.

My point is although it may appeared rude, realize that working several thousands of minor accidents, one may develop a different attitude.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

certguy

Forum Captain
Ouch !!!!!

I used to think whiplash was bogus too till I got rearended while doing an interfacility . We were transporting from hosp. to con home with an elderly pt. . We were stopped in backed up traffic waiting for the light to change when a bonehead with a suspended license , in a borrowed pickup , and with no insurance came barreling over the hill , smashed into the car behind us , and that car nailed my rig . Lucky for my partner , who was standing adjusting the pt's cannula , I looked in the mirror just in time to see him coming , giving her time to grab the bar . She had some minor shoulder pain . Unlucky for me , the ER doc said I must've unconsciously tensed up when I saw it coming and I tore the muscles down both sides of my spine . It sucks to get extricated from your own rig . Pt. was so out of it , he didn't even know what happened . The other driver AMA'd , but his car was totalled . By mechanism , I'd bet good money that he was transported later after the adrenaline rush wore off . I was off work for a month and a half , in pain off and on for several years afterward , and I still have a trigger point that gives me trouble to this day .

Take it from me , get checked out and get treated , these injuries are real .

It got to be that I was getting pretty leary of backed up traffic at intersections . In 8 years in the field , I was in 4 ambulance accidents and I was only moving in 1 . The others were all at intersections , rearended twice and rolled into once , all while waiting for the light to change with no way to avoid it .

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
#1) I've seen several EMT applications and every one that I have read has asked if I had been in an accident within the past 3 years. Should this affect my chances at all? The L.E.O. said that it was in no way my fault since I was waiting for a pedestrian. And on top of that the guy that rear-ends someone else is usually at fault anyway just for the fact that he shouldn't have been following so close.

#2) I dialed 911 but I felt pretty guilty in doing so because I know that at any point there could be a serious injury somewhere else and the dispatch would be busy talking to me about a fender bender. As an afterthough should I have dialed the operator and asked for the city police station? I just told the dispatch I was in a minor accident and not to send a bus or truck.

#3) My neck is KILLING ME! Ha, I know pretty much everybody claims the infamous lawsuit/neck injury after getting hit from behind so I did't complain. And I didn't feel it until much later, but I guess I got a pretty good first hand lesson on the type of neck injuries one can get from a real accident. They claimed to only be doing 5 mph so I can only imagine what a good 35 would do.

I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. You shouldn't be worried about this causing problems for you. Did the LEO write you a ticket? If no, there are no worries. Just make sure that your insurance (or the state insurance board) doesn't put a premium on your insurance. You may need to check that box-- but just say that you were not at fault.
2. Despite what some say, you should never be afraid of calling 911. You may get some disgruntled EMTs, but you always want to stay on the safe side.
3. Get it checked out. Really.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been rear-ended before and it generally takes a few days for all the pain to show up, even if there is 'just' soft tissue damage. I would definitely get it checked out.

About the attitude of the responding personnel, I would think seriously of making a phone call, probably not a letter (too formal) to their supervisor. Just letting them know that snickering and making comments about a person's injuries shouldn't be done within the hearing of the person involved. It is highly unprofessional and I'm sure any clever atty would just love to add that into the mix when suing the department for the untreated injuries of his client, which got worse due to the extended time between the injury and care.