Off-Duty Patients

clibb

Forum Captain
I had my first off duty patient today. I was going rafting and when we got to the site where we were supposed to take off on our journey, one of the rafters came up and asked if anyone had medical training. Of course, I volunteered myself since one of the guides knew me from EMT school.

I ran down to the patient and took charge right away. The guide who was an EMT was assistant in charge. Made sure that she was c-spined since she had taken a fall when she fainted and back boarded. . I didn't have my jump kit with me so I had no Stethoscope or BP cuff with me which really pissed me off when I couldn't get that info. So I could just get breathing, Beats per min, and cap refill. Which was good enough to determine that we had time for the medics.

Took the Medics about 15-20 minutes to get up there and then they took care of the rest and we went on for the rest of our journey.

... And no the cops didn't ask us for our numbers or information in-case of a law suit. We were actually rewarded a pin for "Great Character" due to our actions. Which feels kind of dumb since I do this almost every day. But the rest of the people who assisted me with the patient did awesome! I love people who are helping and will do WHATEVER you tell them to do without arguing.

I thought that I would just share that little story :D

Sassafras

Forum Captain
That's awesome! My first off duty was my last weekend at my old job before I started with an actual unit. A customer passed out and was noticeably not normal when I got back there. I DID have my steth, but no bp/cuff in the car, so I called it in and got as much information as possible. The official EMTs were quite impresses. LOL

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Great job stopping to help out!

A few questions:

Where did you obtain the backboard?

What change in your treatment would have been possible had you had your b/p cuff and steth?

I had my first off duty patient today. I was going rafting and when we got to the site where we were supposed to take off on our journey, one of the rafters came up and asked if anyone had medical training. Of course, I volunteered myself since one of the guides knew me from EMT school.

I ran down to the patient and took charge right away. The guide who was an EMT was assistant in charge. Made sure that she was c-spined since she had taken a fall when she fainted and back boarded. . I didn't have my jump kit with me so I had no Stethoscope or BP cuff with me which really pissed me off when I couldn't get that info. So I could just get breathing, Beats per min, and cap refill. Which was good enough to determine that we had time for the medics.

Took the Medics about 15-20 minutes to get up there and then they took care of the rest and we went on for the rest of our journey.

... And no the cops didn't ask us for our numbers or information in-case of a law suit. We were actually rewarded a pin for "Great Character" due to our actions. Which feels kind of dumb since I do this almost every day. But the rest of the people who assisted me with the patient did awesome! I love people who are helping and will do WHATEVER you tell them to do without arguing.

I thought that I would just share that little story :D

8jimi8

CFRN
did a quick focused assessment on a 3 year old yesterday at the river. We have this area, the free area, outside of our local watering hole "barton springs." An approx 18 yo male was carrying his little sister out of the water and didn't pay attention to the incline he was on, nor the slick moss. He fell once, at which point i took no action because they both got up rather quickly... Then he picked her up again and fell again... on TOP of her. Poor littler girl was a little shaken up, but no LOC, rom and pms were all intact. After I asked her to wiggle her fingers and toes for a little bit, she was still crying, but they both walked off just fine. Peds are my weakest link! I'm glad i'm taking the EPC course at the EMS expo in sept!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Are my patients being paid or do some volunteer?

zmedic

Forum Captain
How old was the patient? I'd say that unless she was over 65, and it was a fall from standing height she is very unlikely to have a spinal injury. Don't know if that would be enough MOI for me to backboard. Now if she hit her head and was altered that would be something else, or was standing on something and fell head first etc. Nothing wrong with holding c-spine and doing your assessment but this is one of those that sounds like she might have not needed a board.