NYC Hazmat Awareness & WMD Certs

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys one of the NYC hospitals I'm applying to is requiring the following certs:
  • Weapons of Mass Destruction Certificate (WMD)
  • Haz-Mat Awareness Certificate
Where do I get the latter? Is the WMD part of the IS-XXX I've been doing previously? Heres a list of my complete IS's:

IS-100 Introduction to Incident Command System

IS-346 Hazardous Materials for Medical Personnel

IS-700 National Incident Management System

IS-5A Introduction to Hazardous Materials

IS-200B ICS for Single Resources & Initial Action Incident

IS-800B Introduction to National Response Framework

Also, FDNY awards extra points for the 24-hour hazmat. Is that the same as the latter or different? Need this stuff ASAP any info is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
24 hr hazmat is typically hazmat ops rather than hazmat awareness. This is typically an in person class that is held at a fire academy or a community college or similar.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Where do I get the hazmat awareness certificate?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You gonna get a Level A HazMat suit to carry around in your personal car, in case you get flagged down on patrol? You're AMR vest ain't gonna cut it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Typically anything more advanced than the FEMA hazmat will be a 1 or 2 day class put on by a fire academy. My hazmat FRO was 2 days of classroom and 1/2 day of scenarios. Awareness I believe is a day class, not to sure as I have the cert above it. Check with a local JC that has a fire program and you can sign up for the class.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I have my HazMat FRA, Adam. It was a one day class, NBD... Want a copy?... You can cross my name off and write yours in...
Then you can staple it to your chest next to your shield, or put it in your tech bag in your car to pull out, wave around, and scream everyone at the gas station when they top off.:rolleyes:

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Were you required to take the ICS classes? Because I was required to take IS-100 and 700 and all I remember was how mind numbingly boring they were.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I was required I listed the ICS courses I took do any of them count for hazmat awareness?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
We have similar requirements in Santa Clara County, CA, but I am not sure if it is the exact same.

WMD/AWR-160 (free)

While looking at the AWR-160 class, I saw a link that might relate to your 24 hour operational training you were asking about. Click here to view it.

HazMat First Responder Awareness (FRA)
HazMat First Responder Operation (FRO)

I never took the online version of FRA and FRO; I took them in person. The classes online are not free. I would clarify if those are the certs they are looking for before spending time and money on them.

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
"You gonna get a Level A HazMat suit to carry around in your personal car, in case you get flagged down on patrol? You're AMR vest ain't gonna cut it."
It for awareness: recognize a danger and how to stay safe far enough away

http://www.saferesponse.com/online_courses/hazardous-materials-response-awareness-level/details

I know I have a free online one that's says NFPA. I'll look
http://public.iema.state.il.us/iema/training/HazMatTraining.asp ( I think it's online for free)

And taken
From another forum
"
My department has a class once a year and New Jersey first responders have access to two website that will let you complete them online. njoemscert.com and njlearn.com " (I never actually followed the links. It's still not the
Links I had but should be good

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It for awareness: recognize a danger and how to stay safe far enough away

Did you type this on your phone?

First of all, I know what HazMat FRA is... I have it too.. It is not a big deal, and only requires sitting in class and watching power points to death.

Second, my earlier statements are bleed through from another thread in which young Adam told the world that he is a hero 24 hours a day and desires lights and sirens for his personal vehicle. My apologies for the bleed through that had nothing to do with the topic of the post.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
You can do hazmat fro which is one step above hazmat fra, I did it in about half a day online. Its just expensive but it doss count for ce's