Nursing home nurses/moving pt's

8jimi8

CFRN
If someone is being rough with patients it needs to be reported to the appropriate abuse hotlines. This is the standard of care, no?

OP
OP
O

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
There is a couple times where I've come close to telling off a nurse....

I know if I did. I wouldn't hear the end of it from my supervisors...

I do know, If i got called to a nursing home and saw stuff that I see now...and I was working for a Fire Department or City EMS system...My hand would be so far up their *** I'd be using their head as a hand puppet...

I do wanna say, I've noticed something in DFW. The farther east you go the worse the nursing homes get...I would love to work in Fort Worth all day. Clean facilities, nice nurses and no drama..

Carlyle in Southlake <<Best facility I've seen!

Bon-Tech

Forum Crew Member
Falls are a big deal in nursing homes. During CNA class, they make it sound like having someone fall is a sure career ender, hence the eagerness to whip out the old transfer belt each and every single time.

Also, these people (lame as they might be in some cases) are transferring patients a bazillion times a day, so they too, use all the help they can get. If they see a crew of handsome EMT's ready to take Ms. Smith to her appointment, they sure as hell will try to let them do the work. Wouldn't you? If your answer is no, working a shift at a nursing home would be certain to change your mind.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Falls are a big deal in nursing homes. During CNA class, they make it sound like having someone fall is a sure career ender, hence the eagerness to whip out the old transfer belt each and every single time.

Also, these people (lame as they might be in some cases) are transferring patients a bazillion times a day, so they too, use all the help they can get. If they see a crew of handsome EMT's ready to take Ms. Smith to her appointment, they sure as hell will try to let them do the work. Wouldn't you? If your answer is no, working a shift at a nursing home would be certain to change your mind.

Not if i expected their help getting the dirty sheets out from under ms smith when she returns.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
I hate the nursing homes in my area. It seems like the only thing they can do is get a set of vitals.. And even then that's if we're lucky.

Got a call for a PT with abdominal pain. Get there ask the nurses a couple questions as our PT isn't too verbal. The nurse turns and says to me "She's a working code." I said "Excuse me?" and she was like " I SAID she is a WORKING CODE" , I said to her "Well seeing as I can hear her breathing and shes making sounds I'd say she isn't a working code..."

But hey what do I know...

And as for moving PT's always remember ABC's ambulate before carrying.

Kidding, but seriously I always ask *most* PT's if they can and would rather walk then us move them, and if I allow them to walk and see that they are stumbling/weak I stop them and move them myself.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I hate the nursing homes in my area. It seems like the only thing they can do is get a set of vitals.. And even then that's if we're lucky.

Got a call for a PT with abdominal pain. Get there ask the nurses a couple questions as our PT isn't too verbal. The nurse turns and says to me "She's a working code." I said "Excuse me?" and she was like " I SAID she is a WORKING CODE" , I said to her "Well seeing as I can hear her breathing and shes making sounds I'd say she isn't a working code..."

But hey what do I know...

And as for moving PT's always remember ABC's ambulate before carrying.

Kidding, but seriously I always ask *most* PT's if they can and would rather walk then us move them, and if I allow them to walk and see that they are stumbling/weak I stop them and move them myself.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like by "working code" the nurse was tryinbg to tell you that the patient didn't have a DNR, rather than discussing the patient's condition. I've most often heard "full code" around here.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I could be wrong, but it sounds like by "working code" the nurse was tryinbg to tell you that the patient didn't have a DNR, rather than discussing the patient's condition. I've most often heard "full code" around here.
Seconded. The nurse should have said, "She's a full code". The paperwork will list code status as "full code" or "DNR" in most cases.

thinkABC

Forum Probie
Seconded. The nurse should have said, "She's a full code". The paperwork will list code status as "full code" or "DNR" in most cases.

Yeah, I had no idea what that meant until I asked someone.

I thought it meant someone was a resuscitated CPR. I walked around thinking, "Man, there sure are a lot of those full code patients. I thought most CPRs had poor outcomes...."

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I had no idea what that meant until I asked someone.

I thought it meant someone was a resuscitated CPR. I walked around thinking, "Man, there sure are a lot of those full code patients. I thought most CPRs had poor outcomes...."

First time I heard it was from a medic telling the ER doc concerning our FTD CHF patient. I was thinking, "well, the EKG looked awful, but they weren't coding, what is he talking about?"