NREMT study concentration?

DetroitFD

Forum Probie
Hello all-
I'm about 4 weeks out from being finished with my EMTB classes. I'm doing very well in the class and lab, but am wondering what your suggestions are on what to concentrate on studying for the Registry. I know from poking around here that much of it is scenario based, and that both medical and trauma assessment steps are especially important, so I've been studying those a ton.
I'm just wondering what else I should pay special attention to, and if there are things that mostly aren't on the exam (like NIMS/ICS, knowing every bone, etc). Any help is appreciated!

Also perhaps your favorite preparation sites.

dmfinn

Forum Probie
Congrats on being almost done!

For a prep site, I recommend JBlearning, it really helped me a lot. I took the NREMT 9 months after finishing my course and passed first time, and I think JBL helped a lot with that. Just google search "JBlearning Navigate EMT" and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

For areas of concentration, my test was heavily focused on Peds and OB/GYN, though it varies. Those were also my weakest areas, so maybe it seemed like the questions were harder than they were. Either way, I'd definitely review them. You don't need to know the entire body front and back, but know the location of major organs and definitely know the terminology used to refer to different parts of the body. Also, there were at least 5 questions that required you to determine the burn percentage on an adult, child, and baby, so remember the "rule of 9's".

Finally, take your time reading them. I often found I'd read a question quickly, select an answer, and then go back to check one more time and realize the patient was 13 years old, not 30. Make sure you understand the entire scenario, because often they give you answers that would work if the patient was an adult, but not if he/she was a child, and vice versa.

Good Luck!

Dan

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
I dont recall my test being heavy on any particular subject. You can be tested on anything that is in your text book. The only safe studying prep would be studying the entire book, know all of it. In fact I do remember being tested on extremely minute details about things, plus scenarios etc etc...know it all. Good luck.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
most questions are best answer questions... not right answer questions. Make sure to read the entire question and all of the answers.