NREMT Questions (EMT-B)

Louie Louie

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. I want to firstly say thank you for taking the time to read this.
I just finished the EMT program last month, and I am now going to take the NREMT soon.
I've been using 'EMTprep' for studying purposes, as well as, a few other apps.

I'm having difficulty finding an accurate count (with pediatric) on the rule of nines.
My current textbook states the following:
Infant= Head 18% ; Torso 18%; Arms 9% left and right; Legs left and right 13.5% ; Groin 1%.

Children= Head 12%; Torso 18%; Arms 9% left and right; Legs left and right 16.5 % ; Groin 1%.

I keep missing these burn victim questions because my counts do not add up correctly. EMTprep says a 5-year-old's legs measure as 13.5% ?
I tried looking up information online... and they all give different counts as well.

Any help and references would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Well here is your first lesson in real ems. I have seen the numbers vary as well. All are essentially right and I wouldn't spend too much time on this section as it amounts to maybe a couple questions on the exam itself. Know it for the real world.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
If I remember correctly, for the test knowing what is "critical" (circumferential, genitalia, etc.) was more important than counting.

MinnieToo

Forum Probie
I took the NREMT in January, and of the 71 questions I had on the test five of them were on calculating burn percentages!! After question No. 3 I began to second guess myself and thought I must be really messing them up ... but it must have just been a fluke.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I took the NREMT in January, and of the 71 questions I had on the test five of them were on calculating burn percentages!! After question No. 3 I began to second guess myself and thought I must be really messing them up ... but it must have just been a fluke.

It's typically not a fluke when you have repeat questions on a particular topic. You must have missed a really easy and a really hard question on burn percentages, so it kept asking you until it established your 70% level.