NREMT Basic, in reality

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
That is what I thought. My book basically suggests o2 always.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
The onset of oxygen toxicity is upwards of an hour. So technically prolonged O2 administration to COPDers is bad but idk if it's really pertinent in a prehospital setting unless it's a long transport.

Never deprive oxygen regardless of COPD diagnosis.

The reason behind the low flow O2 concept with COPDer's isn't due to toxicity, but rather due to high flow o2's antagonizing effects on the COPD patient's normal hypoxic drive to breathe.

It would be a reasonable idea to consider the circumstances of the specific patient before jumping direct to high-flow o2 by NRB. Although this phenomenon is a rare finding in the prehospital environment, it still exists and the provider should still take caution.

If the patient is in distress, is it due to their oxygen saturations, or their work of breathing? 9 times out of 10, it's the ladder and that will not be fixed with a mask on high flow o2 alone.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Its getting closer....June 14 near 6 PM...my NREMT

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Tomorrow is the big day! Am I allowed to have a water bottle and a tissue for my nose in the test or is that a negative? Also its just one photo id and ame with your name and sig like a cpd card?

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
In about 24 hours I will be taking the nremt

Oxygen toxicity can occur.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
So here are some questions from JBlearning, tell me if they are as hard or harder than the ones I might see on NREMT?

Which of the following mechanisms of injury would necessitate performing a rapid trauma assessment? •A. Amputation of three toes from the patient’s left foot with controlled bleeding •B. An impaled object in the patient’s lower extremity with minimal venous bleeding •C. A 5 foot, 8 inch tall adult who fell 12 feet from a roof and landed on his side •D. A stable patient involved in a car crash, whose passenger was killed

2.A young male has an open abdominal wound through which a small loop of bowel is protruding. There is minimal bleeding. The BEST way to treat his injury is to: •A. Apply dry sterile gauze pads to the wound and then keep them continuously moist by pouring sterile saline or water on them throughout transport. •B. Cover the wound with a dry sterile trauma dressing and tightly secure it in place by circumferentially wrapping roller gauze around the abdomen. •C. Gently clean the exposed loop of bowel with warm sterile saline, carefully replace it back into the wound, and cover it with a dry sterile dressing. •D. Apply a sterile trauma dressing moistened with sterile saline directly to the wound and secure the moist dressing in place with a dry sterile dressing.

If a passenger strikes his or her head on the windshield during a motor-vehicle crash: •A. You will always see a starburst fracture of the windshield at the location where the patient struck his or her head. •B. He or she will likely experience a hyperflexion injury, resulting in fractures of the vertebrae in the cervical spine. •C. The posterior portion of the brain will receive the initial impact, resulting in severe intracerebral hemorrhage. •D. The anterior portion of the brain sustains a compression injury, while the posterior portion sustains a stretching injury.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Stop studying and take the freaking test. I already told you, you'll be fine if you're doing well on those JB Questions. You have an adequate understanding of everything.

I can't answer whether the questions will be easier or harder. The difficulty of the questions depends on how well you do on the prior questions. You might get a medical student level question or you might get a middle school anatomy question.

I will tell you, that they'll be better constructed than the sample ones you gave. Stuff like "always" and "never" will rarely be included in the answers, because it makes it too easy to psych the test out.