Not that old but scared EMT

Celia A Brown

Forum Ride Along
Hello all of my EMS peeps. I'm from Philly and I became an EMT in 1993 after being inspired by my deceased brother in 1991. I worked in the private sector but had/saw my share. I was a Paramedic Assitstant, worked the Pocono speedway and a CCT but got lazy when I started working for a hospital based service. Then I was a dispatcher from heaven (at least I say) I want to get back in but I'm scared at 50 yo. I started my CEU's in 2010 and then stopped when my Father passed in 2011. Tests don't scare me put the pratical does. Does anyone out there know I feel? I have an awesome opportunity in the Midwest in a brand new, state of the art hospital but I have to recert. Before, we didn't have to take the NREMT. I could use some sage advice. Please, all be safe.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
50 year old women aren't unheard of on the job. They're not common, but not unique either.

Here's the question. Can you do the job? Loads, lifts, carries, missed meals, missed holidays, taking orders from kids 30 years your junior, swallowing call after call like a pelican and getting up tomorrow for more of the same?

In some ways the job is the same as when you last had a card. In some ways it is not; but the basic theory is the same so you know more or less what you're getting into. Can you hack it?

If you can, get your card back and grab a shift. We'd be happy to have your maturity and experience. If you can't, please stay home. We need people in this industry badly, but we don't need partial employees. It's not fair to come to work knowing you can only do half the job.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Download the skill sheets, and go through them. See if there's a local class or agency that would help you out. I took my first EMT class at 45, am now an EMT-I at 48, planning on entering paramedic school next August. Your experience should be a help. Good luck!