Not really EMS related

8jimi8

CFRN
I got a job in the ICU at Baptist Medical Center in downtown San Antonio! I'm amped!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Congrats. Learn all you can.

So are you adapting to life off the streets or want to do line work in EMS, whatever that means?

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
I plan on picking up a part time EMS gig once I get settled into my new position. As it is now, I volunteer at at South Hays Fire Department and Bulverde Spring Branch EMS. My eventual goal is to fly as a nurse, but I am also planning on getting my red patch within the process of getting my required ICU experience. It's still going to be a long process of getting my time and education, but I found an accredited online program through Houston Community College who will let me do my EMT-P through distance learning, once I have a year's worth of experience in the ICU. That program will require me to do a bit of leg work, in connecting HCC with a hospital and a local ambulance service both of which hopefully will allow me to do my clinical rotations while completing my program. Some of our very experienced posters have encouraged me not to seek part-time EMS work while I am getting my nursing experience, but I am too drawn to the street to give it up and let my basic license go to the wayside. If I feel that I need four days off to recover from my 36 in the hospital, then I'll just keep it as it is and keep volunteering.

The awesome thing at this new job is that during the peer interview one of the 20+ year nurses told me that she would train me, so that I can be ready to fly when its time! From what I have heard Baptist is a great system to work in and our hospital is one of the four ACE demonstration centers in the nation. My ICU manager seems to be a very progressive leader and I am so excited to be one step closer to earning my dreams!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Congrats!!! You'll do great!