Not feelin the love

Sqd4LT

Forum Ride Along
I've been a volunteer going on 5 years now. I took a three month break from it and recently went back. I've seemed to of lost the love for running calls, simply don't get that adrenaline rush any more. I run with some great people on my shift, we normally have a good time shooting pool or jus sitting around talking. When it comes time to climb on the truck to respond to a call I could careless if I was on the truck.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've been a volunteer going on 5 years now. I took a three month break from it and recently went back. I've seemed to of lost the love for running calls, simply don't get that adrenaline rush any more. I run with some great people on my shift, we normally have a good time shooting pool or jus sitting around talking. When it comes time to climb on the truck to respond to a call I could careless if I was on the truck.

If you are doing it for the adrenaline rush it is probably best to do something else.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Seems a lot different from my volly house. Training, cleaning, studying, and perhaps after 5pm you're lucky enough to sit around and do nothing.

Get your nose in the literature, so much fun to be had there.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Most people eventually stop feeling an adrenaline rush when the tones drop. That's not sustainable over the long run, and you'd be hard pressed to find any 5 year provider that still gets excited for every routine call. Maybe figure out why you're not still willing to go on calls though. Was the main reason you were in EMS for some kind of excitement or rush? At this point, it sounds like you've figured out that that's not what its about. Honestly, if you're at a combo Fire/EMS volunteer department, you sound like most of the other volunteers I meet that don't want to ride the ambulance and would rather hang around and ride the engine or truck if that goes out. That's not an insult in any way, just an observation.