noobie

emt_noob18

Forum Ride Along
hey guys/gals just wanting to say hey, im an emt student in smyrna, ga im going for my EMT-I. if you have any pointers or comments about random things just post it. im just about to get into my second mod, advanced airway/patient assessment. so yeah, let the post begine B)

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
Learn your assessments, ABC's, and vital signs by heart. Have fun and study hard. When you have an opportunity to get hands on time with equipment, make sure you are the first one to use it and last one done.

Crepitus

Forum Crew Member
if you have any pointers or comments about random things just post it.

Don't eat the yellow snow:p

Ahh you're in GA, never mind, I got nothing.B)

Okay, maybe . . . Be safe, be thoughtful. If your gut isn't sure about what your brain is saying then double check. But don't be the guy that quadruple checks everything. At some point you have to move forward.

Find the guy/gal you want to be like. You'll recognize them. They may not be the smartest or the best eductated. They might not be the person who 'talks it the best'. They're steady. They're calm. They say please, even during a code, because that's who they are all day, all night. They will expect you to carry your own water, but they are the type who will show you how to fill the bucket . . . so to speak.

Try to find out how they got that way and do that. Do the things they do when you are around them. You can't always 'think' your way towards becoming a competent medic, you have to eventually act your way towards it.

As you pick up those intangible things, then become that guy and show the next person how to fill their bucket.

Good luck. It's going to be a great ride.:)

OP
OP
E

emt_noob18

Forum Ride Along
THANKS! i do get to do one of my rides with metro coming up soon. so hopefully that will be fun, i'll keep everyone posted on my status

Camaro_girlZ95

Forum Ride Along
I was just wondering if your taking the NREMT-I? Im take that right now Im Springfield Va and theres a book by brady called International Trauma Life Support 6th edition and I think it has a really good break down of what you learn for the NREMT

OP
OP
E

emt_noob18

Forum Ride Along
na im not taking the nremt-i but the main book we use is brady intermediate emergency care 1985 cirriculum 3rd edition.

Fox800

Forum Captain
Learn all that you can about fluid resuscitation, acid/base balance, and strive to learn as much about airway management as possible. Your agency may or may not let you perform endotracheal intubation. If that's in your forseeable future, try to go to additional airway management classes or (ideally) a cadaver lab.