Newly Certified EMT - FL

swagwagon

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, my name is Mike, this is my first post on here. Looks like a very nice group here.

Anyways, I know there are probably threads on here about where to start career paths in EMS, I did some searching but did not find anything relating to my specific questions.

I just graduated at Pasco-Hernando Community College as an EMT, took the NREMT, passed and am currently FL state certified EMT-B. Now I would like to get into the field. I currently live in New Port Richey, about an hour north of Tampa.

In this area where is the best place to start?

Volunteer or go straight for a job?

What companies are most likely to hire an EMT fresh out of EMT class with no experience in the field besides clinicals?

Location does not have to be immediately local, I am willing to drive a little to get my experience in the field started, just not across the state.

I was looking into MedFleet since they are right here in New Port Richey and was going to go apply there this Tuesday, since their site is down. I was considering Sunstar since they run 911 calls, which I am more interested in than IFTs, but they only hire people 21 years and older. I am currently 20 years old. AMR in tampa is also a possibility but they have not posted any job openings on their site in this area.

Any advice/good threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

OP
OP
S

swagwagon

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the reply. I am on TransCare's website right now and it shows that they are only in the northern states, do I need to do more digging? I am also on Americare's site now they look like a definite possibility. Thanks!

Any other input would be appreciated.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the reply. I am on TransCare's website right now and it shows that they are only in the northern states, do I need to do more digging? I am also on Americare's site now they look like a definite possibility. Thanks!

Any other input would be appreciated.

crisiscenter.com/transcare.aspx

jonesy0924

Forum Probie
congrats on finishing school.... dont stop there with education....i am also a grad of PHCC EMT school in 2000......

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
Medic School

got it! thanks!

and thanks jonsey. im not stopping there, i am going for my medic this semester hopefully.

How long is medic school at PHCC? I live in South Hillsborough County so I'll either go to medic school at HCC or Florida Medical Training Institute.

jonesy0924

Forum Probie
if you dont mind me saying i would suggest getting some real time as a emt before starting paramedic....all the schools are right at about a year....hcc and phcc are great choices...i have known some good medics that came out of fmti but i would suggest hcc or phcc also look into spc and pcc

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
if you dont mind me saying i would suggest getting some real time as a emt before starting paramedic....all the schools are right at about a year....hcc and phcc are great choices...i have known some good medics that came out of fmti but i would suggest hcc or phcc also look into spc and pcc

Disagree. If you have a medic school that will take you, then start your medic program. Work while you're in school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonesy0924

Forum Probie
I understand that some people think going to medic right after emt is good...everyone is entitled to their opinions.. I have always believed in the saying that you cannt be a good paramedic without being a great emt...because all medic stuff starts at the emt level...

OP
OP
S

swagwagon

Forum Ride Along
yeah i have heard that saying before jonesy. i just would like to get experience in the field while going to school because my bright futures scholorship allows me to take one "break from school." i am considering fire school in the future so i am saving that semester break just incase i cannot get in. if i take more than one i risk losing the scholorship.