Newly Certified EMT-B Confused

Ultravox Vienna

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
Today, I received my EMT card, badge, and certification paper from National Registry in the mail after passing the NREMT exams. I was wondering what the next steps are. Do I have to contact my State EMS office? Or can I start applying for jobs right now? I am lost and any help would be appreciated! My state of residence is PA and I took the EMT course at a community college awhile back. Thanks!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi,
Today, I received my EMT card, badge, and certification paper from National Registry in the mail after passing the NREMT exams. I was wondering what the next steps are. Do I have to contact my State EMS office? Or can I start applying for jobs right now? I am lost and any help would be appreciated! My state of residence is PA and I took the EMT course at a community college awhile back. Thanks!
You need to contact your state EMS office and apply for a EMT cert as NREMT is only a testing agency and doesn’t certify you to work as a EMT. I’d wait to apply until after you get your EMT card from the state. It won’t hurt to look around and see who is hiring and make sure that you have everything that they require though.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
You need to contact your state EMS office and apply for a EMT cert as NREMT is only a testing agency and doesn’t certify you to work as a EMT. I’d wait to apply until after you get your EMT card from the state. It won’t hurt to look around and see who is hiring and make sure that you have everything that they require though.

Just to tune up your verbiage a little. The NR is a national certifying agency that certifies you are competent in your skills and knowledge by their standards. The NR is not an authorization to use those skills(except in a few rarified cases that aren’t important here). You receive your authorization to practice, properly called a license(although some states, like Massachusetts, choose to be difficult), from the government organization duly authorized to do so. Usually this is a state agency, but can occasionally be(separatley or in addition to) a county or lower government organization.

So NR = certified in EMS skills and knowledge. State license = authorized to perform them.

OP
OP
U

Ultravox Vienna

Forum Ride Along
Just to tune up your verbiage a little. The NR is a national certifying agency that certifies you are competent in your skills and knowledge by their standards. The NR is not an authorization to use those skills(except in a few rarified cases that aren’t important here). You receive your authorization to practice, properly called a license(although some states, like Massachusetts, choose to be difficult), from the government organization duly authorized to do so. Usually this is a state agency, but can occasionally be(separatley or in addition to) a county or lower government organization.

So NR = certified in EMS skills and knowledge. State license = authorized to perform them.
Thanks for clarifying this. I was actually confused on the difference myself to be honest!