Newish Emt Seeks advice/Encouragement

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Hello all. First I'd like to say you guys on here really know your stuff and offer great and varying suggestions/opinions!! Gives me much to think on.

So here's my situation: I'm a new-ish EMT-B. I got my NREMT last July and have since been working with my local volunteer fire dept. Its been a blast and I'm really loving it all. My problem is that the local private ambulance company usually beats us to the call and I get little to no hands-on experience. And when we do get there I'm often relegated to scribe/Gofer. I do know that scribing is helpful in knowing my way around a PCR and getting to observe the lead EMT doing their assessments is also helpful. But my goal is Medic. I don't feel confident yet to foolishly enter medic school but I'm seeing/reading/hearing a lot of people doing this! I don't know what to do. I have been applying all over California but haven't got but 2 interviews. My last one went really well and with my volunteer experience I thought for sure this IFT company would go with me. But nope.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this: Am I not doing something right? Do I just go into Medic school even though I think its a bad idea without some real experience? Do I go back to school and tackle some Anatomy&Physiology classes? Other classes??

Any suggestions/encouragement/Constructive Criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

squrt29batt12

Forum Crew Member
Hello all. First I'd like to say you guys on here really know your stuff and offer great and varying suggestions/opinions!! Gives me much to think on.

So here's my situation: I'm a new-ish EMT-B. I got my NREMT last July and have since been working with my local volunteer fire dept. Its been a blast and I'm really loving it all. My problem is that the local private ambulance company usually beats us to the call and I get little to no hands-on experience. And when we do get there I'm often relegated to scribe/Gofer. I do know that scribing is helpful in knowing my way around a PCR and getting to observe the lead EMT doing their assessments is also helpful. But my goal is Medic. I don't feel confident yet to foolishly enter medic school but I'm seeing/reading/hearing a lot of people doing this! I don't know what to do. I have been applying all over California but haven't got but 2 interviews. My last one went really well and with my volunteer experience I thought for sure this IFT company would go with me. But nope.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this: Am I not doing something right? Do I just go into Medic school even though I think its a bad idea without some real experience? Do I go back to school and tackle some Anatomy&Physiology classes? Other classes??

Any suggestions/encouragement/Constructive Criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Congrats on getting your certs. The hiring situation is pretty bad down here too, we get stuck working private ambulance and ER Tech positions in the meantime. I made the mistake of opting out of the general ed classes at the 4-year college where I got my Fire/EMT/Paramedic certs. The best advice I can give you is make yourself marketable, go back to school, become a Paramedic (everyone is somewhat unsure of themselves before starting, but you pick it up in no time), get your AS in EMS, and continue to take every opportunity with the volly dept to learn all that you can.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Goto medic school. There is no point to waiting.

In case I wasn't clear: Goto medic school, now.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
correction "Goto medic school, yesterday*"
Goto medic school in July of last year.

There is no reason to delay becoming a Paramedic for experience as an EMT. An EMT can hardly do anything, they are taught next to nothing. The bare minimum in California is 110 hours with 10 hours clinicals, which most programs barely exceed! There are countries that laugh at the States, and then all the other states are laughing at California!

Oh, the Anatomy and Physiology portion of your class was probably four hours long. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys skipped Pathophysiology.

Think about what an EMT can do:
  • oxygen
  • chest compression
  • airway adjuncts: OPA/NPA
  • splinting
  • c-spine
  • assist with: ASA, NTG, epi pen, albuterol
  • vital signs
  • push gurney
  • drive ambulance
  • bleeding control
  • ventilate
If you were lucky, you were introduced to the combitube, king airway, and blood glucose level.

If you are blessed and somehow get a job in IFT, you most likely will not do most of the above. If pigs start flying and you get stuck onto an ALS rig that does 9-1-1, you might be lucky enough to pass some stuff to your Paramedic partner and put stickers (electrodes) onto patients.

Do you really need experience in that?

Plus why not think ALS right from the start? It can improve your BLS skills e.g. appropriate dosage of oxygen (ACLS recommendations, minute volume = tidal volume x respiration rate, what affects these numbers, what different % of SpO2 means, etc), position (think V/Q), recognizing sign and symptoms that aren't taught in EMT, what certain vital signs mean to you (e.g. Cushing Triad: wide pulse ressure, irregular respirations, bradycardia, or calculate MAP on the go, recognize different respiration rhythms that are associated with different conditions e.g. Kussmaul's breathing, i/e ratio, etc), more acronyms, etc. There are lots of things you'll learn as a Paramedic that'll be useful to you as an EMT. See? Lots of things! Ooo...

By the way, there is a catch to trying to get a job as an EMT in California, well, at least in the Bay Area, this is the case... You are competing against Paramedics for EMT positions, even at IFT companies. Crazy, huh?! California is so badly over saturated that a good chunck of our Paramedics are working as EMTs at IFT companies. In the area I live in, I know of one company where more than 50% of the staff are Paramedics, but working as EMTs. At that particular location, they don't even do ALS.

You asked about going back to school for Anatomy and Physiology. The answer is yes! Take the class(es)! Four hours isn't enough in EMT. In Paramedics, four weeks isn't enough. Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy, Physology, etc, are all gonna contribute to you becoming an all right provider. These classes are gonna provide a foundation for you like they do for RNs. EMT experience isn't gonna give you a good foundation like these classes will.

squrt29batt12

Forum Crew Member

There is no reason to delay becoming a Paramedic for experience as an EMT. An EMT can hardly do anything, they are taught next to nothing. The bare minimum in California is 110 hours with 10 hours clinicals, which most programs barely exceed! There are countries that laugh at the States, and then all the other states are laughing at California!

Oh, the Anatomy and Physiology portion of your class was probably four hours long. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys skipped Pathophysiology.

• oxygen
  • chest compression
  • splinting
  • c-spine
  • vital signs
  • push gurney
  • drive ambulance
  • bleeding control
  • ventilate
If you were lucky, you were introduced to the combitube, king airway, and blood glucose level.

If you are blessed and somehow get a job in IFT, you most likely will not do most of the above. If pigs start flying and you get stuck onto an ALS rig that does 9-1-1, you might be lucky enough to pass some stuff to your Paramedic partner and put stickers (electrodes) onto patients.

Plus why not think ALS right from the start? It can improve your BLS skills e.g. appropriate dosage of oxygen (ACLS recommendations, minute volume = tidal volume x respiration rate, what affects these numbers, what different % of SpO2 means, etc), position (think V/Q), recognizing sign and symptoms that aren't taught in EMT, what certain vital signs mean to you (e.g. Cushing Triad: wide pulse ressure, irregular respirations, bradycardia, or calculate MAP on the go, recognize different respiration rhythms that are associated with different conditions e.g. Kussmaul's breathing, i/e ratio, etc), more acronyms, etc. There are lots of things you'll learn as a Paramedic that'll be useful to you as an EMT. See? Lots of things! Ooo...

By the way, there is a catch to trying to get a job as an EMT in California, well, at least in the Bay Area, this is the case... You are competing against Paramedics for EMT positions, even at IFT companies. Crazy, huh?! California is so badly over saturated that a good chunck of our Paramedics are working as EMTs at IFT companies. In the area I live in, I know of one company where more than 50% of the staff are Paramedics, but working as EMTs. At that particular location, they don't even do ALS.

You asked about going back to school for Anatomy and Physiology. The answer is yes! Take the class(es)! Four hours isn't enough in EMT. In Paramedics, four weeks isn't enough. Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy, Physology, etc, are all gonna contribute to you becoming an all right provider. These classes are gonna provide a foundation for you like they do for RNs. EMT experience isn't gonna give you a good foundation like these classes will.

Well played, Sir.B)

WelshMedic

Forum Probie
Advice

My advice: Pick a good school, preferably with a degree programme, strive to be the best medic you can and get the heck out of California and relocate to a good system. ATCEMS in Austin TX and Mecklenburg in Charlotte NC both spring to mind but I am sure there are more...

And if you are dead set om staying on the west coast you could always head up north to King County with it's world-famous Medic One programme (even if opinions are divided on the service).

C.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member

Oh, the Anatomy and Physiology portion of your class was probably four hours long. (maybe 8 hours for me)I wouldn't be surprised if you guys skipped Pathophysiology.(brushed passed it a bit)

• oxygen
  • chest compression
  • splinting
  • c-spine
  • vital signs
  • push gurney
  • drive ambulance
  • bleeding control
  • ventilate
If you were lucky, you were introduced to the combitube,(did a couple of hours on it) king airway, and blood glucose level.(hit that pretty good)

(woo hoo did that on a ride along)

Plus why not think ALS right from the start? It can improve your BLS skills e.g. appropriate dosage of oxygen (ACLS recommendations, minute volume = tidal volume x respiration rate, what affects these numbers, what different % of SpO2 means, etc), position (think V/Q), recognizing sign and symptoms that aren't taught in EMT, what certain vital signs mean to you (e.g. Cushing Triad: wide pulse ressure, irregular respirations, bradycardia, (hit that a bit)or calculate MAP on the go, recognize different respiration rhythms that are associated with different conditions e.g. Kussmaul's breathing, i/e ratio, etc), more acronyms, etc. There are lots of things you'll learn as a Paramedic that'll be useful to you as an EMT. See? Lots of things! Ooo...

i think my school was a little better than some, some people coming out of the local community really sucked, mainly because they had next to no hands on equipment to train with,
i want to go on to paramedic as well, i also want to teach the basic course at some point,
i have a lot of teaching experience, and the whole time i was in class i was thinking,
"oh i got an idea about that, or oh i can do that better" etc...
california isn't alone in churning out emt's from what i gather it is becoming ridiculously over saturated nation wide,
as for now, i don't have the extra money to even pay for more books for paramedic school or the tuition, i need to go to work for a company and apply myself enough to have them pay for it (i know good luck huh?) B)

anyway thanks for your thoughtful input and i agree the o.p. should go on if he has the opportunity right now!

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
If you have the time/money and commitment to go onto Medic, do it! I was asking my self the same questions you are, but the reality is a lot of people go straight to medic without experience and do just fine. Considering you have some volunteer experience already, you will likely be ahead of some of your class mates. The first opportunity I get to get my Medic, I'm doing it!

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in the same spot. Recently graduated and a Paramedic class coming up in a couple of months. If I can work out the financial end of the deal, I'm going for it. Just looking for pre-test and interviews at the end of July.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
as for now, i don't have the extra money to even pay for more books for paramedic school or the tuition, i need to go to work for a company and apply myself enough to have them pay for it (i know good luck huh?) B)

anyway thanks for your thoughtful input and i agree the o.p. should go on if he has the opportunity right now!

Go to a real school and get financial aid