Newbie, where to begin?

Bhale4217

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, well I'm new to this whole thing, I just became certified officially about a month ago. As of right now I don't know where to begin. I don't have any experience and don't exactly know how to go about getting it? I see a few job postings out there that I could be applying for but I lack the experience. I'm just trying to get some direction or even recommendations of what I can do to improve my chances of getting a job.

Thanks!
-Billie

lampnyter

Forum Captain
yea, voulenteering is the best thing to do when you being, it opens a bunch of oppertunities down the road.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
My advice is to apply everywhere...your city's EMS service (or the fire department if they handle it), private services, hospitals, etc. There are about 8 private services in my area that I know of and I hit them all up, some twice. I'm not sure how many there are in Sacramento but there are bound to be a few. Apply at all of them. There seems to be a surplus of EMT-B's right now so you just have to play the numbers; the chances that the first place you try will be hiring at the time you apply are slim. If you don't hear back from anyone in a couple months, re-apply. Most of the time an employer is only going to look at more recent apps (last month or so) when a position does open.

I'd also strongly recommend that if you apply in person, dress and prepare for an interview. Some places interview you on the spot, it happened to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Forgot to add: make sure all your certs are in order before you start. Many places won't take your application (and almost certainly won't interview you) unless you have everything in hand. You'll need your NREMT card, CPR card, DMV ambulance endorsement, DMV H6, Medical examiner card and County EMS card. I would also bring your NREMT certificate (the big one) and your school's certificate, nobody ever asked to see mine but just in case...