New Zealand ambulance anyone?

Sera

Forum Probie
Hi guys,
Last time i posted here i was at the beginning of my PCP (emt) course. I'm proud to say that I am now a liscenced PCP here in Saskatchewan! I *loved* the course, my instructors and all my classmates. The practicum was awesome.. can't even begin to tell you how much I learned and experienced!!

Heres the thing. Before taking the course I had spent a few years travelling down under in New Zealand.. of course had to meet a local kiwi. We've been together long enough to be considered "common law partners". I'm in the process of applying for my residency, I'm actually planning on heading over there next month and was wondering if...
does anyone know anything about how it works over there or know a paramedic from NZ? Or Australia...

Unfortunately I didn't take any time to look into it while I was down there. I Didn't even think about it at the time.
The little that I do know is that they have whats called an "Ambulance Officer (2 weekend course)" and then next up is a paramedic (3yr course). What they can and can't do I have no clue.
I applied for a "volunteer ambulance officer" job (i know).. but it least its getting my foot in the door, and able to gain experience in a busy city fresh out of school. I'm hoping that it's not equivalent to my PCP course considering it says it's only a two weekend course.

If anyone knows anything please let me know so I can be prepared!!!

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I might spend my next southern summer in NZ though not as an EMT. However here's some info. Hope you'll find it useful.

Usually emergency services in NZ do recognize foreign certification and do hire international staff (who are required to challenge a local/national course prior to emplyment). -This doesn't mean that you have to take a course from the begining.

The following is the website link of one of the main ambulance services which employs both volunteer and paid ambulance officers:

http://www.stjohn.org.nz/volunteer/ao_paid.aspx

MAIN SITE INFO FROM WEBSITE:

"To gain a paid position as an Ambulance Officer the majority of our members have already gained the required skills and experience through either working in another ambulance service or by volunteering.

Recruitment intakes are offered in Auckland for applicants with no prior medical training above a first aid certificate. Successful candidates will become Ambulance Officers in the Auckland area. Members will be trained to the National Certificate level within a period of six months and can then advance to the Paramedic level of practice.

INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
If you have qualifications gained from an overseas medical provider then you can apply to have your existing qualifications appraised. To do this you can contact the Auckland University of Technology.

St John welcomes international applications from qualified Ambulance Officers and supports equal employment opportunities. Whilst St John typically recruits from within New Zealand, we also recognise the benefits of employing experienced Ambulance Officers from overseas organisations.

All positions are advertised on this website. International applications will only be considered if the applicant has:
experience as an Ambulance Officer
a work permit or New Zealand residency
a qualifications appraisal by the Auckland University of Technology.
The recruitment process typically occurs once you have arrived in New Zealand. Candidates are taken through an assessment which normally involves:
an interview
a physical assessment
driving assessment
team exercise
written tests
psychological profiling
Police clearance
medical examination
In New Zealand's larger cities, candidates may be invited to undertake the recruitment process prior to a position becoming available. Those that complete the process and meet our selection criteria will be placed on a waiting list pending availability of a suitable position. Please note, candidates placed on the waiting list are not guaranteed a paid position within St John. Availability of positions varies throughout the year.

In smaller locations the recruitment process may be shortened in order to fill specific vacancies, as they become available.

Work permit and residency:

St John is an accredited employer which means that if you have a job offer from us and you fill the requirements, your application for a work permit will be fast tracked. Click here to view the New Zealand Immigration website which explains this in full detail.

The New Zealand immigration service (www.immigration.govt.nz) has a very comprehensive website that contains all the relevant information and contacts you will need.

Prior to becoming an Ambulance Officer in New Zealand you may need to have your qualifications appraised. To do this you can contact either of the following:

Auckland University of Technology (AUT)
Website www.aut.ac.nz
Email Debra Spinetto
Click here for the AUT Qualification Appraisal process

Ambulance New Zealand
Email Marjorie Jamieson
Phone +64 4 499 2621

If you would like more information about joining St John or you would like to discuss employment opportunities further please contact:

The Human Resources Assistant
St John National Office
114 The Terrace
Wellington
New Zealand
Phone +64 4 495 1090
Email hr@stjohn.org.nz

http://www.stjohn.org.nz/volunteer/ao_paid.aspx ..."

I guess that other public and private ambulance services there might have similar recruitment systems.

Best of lucks,

Guri

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
Hi

We have four publicly funded providers and five different levels of qualification depending on who you work for it will vary as to who staffs a rig. The qualifications are standardized by the Government but not a license to practice or special status like in the US.

1. Primary Care (BLS - 5 day course)
- First aid
- Entonox
- O2
- AED

2. Ambulance Officer (BLS - around 6mo. full time study)
- NPA
- LMA
- IM Glucagon
- Allbuterol
- Nitro

3. Paramedic (requires another 2 modules of study ontop of the A/O qual)
- IV 0.9% NaCI
- IV cannula
- IV glucose
- Manual defib and 3 lead interpretation
- 12 lead EKG acquisition

4. ALS Paramedic (Paramedic + another 3 modules)
- Adrenaline
- Metoclopramide
- Nalaxon
- Morphine

5. Advanced Paramedic (2 or 3 years full time study)
- Intubation (incl RSI I THINK)
- Cricothyriodotomy
- Atropine
- Frusemide
- Ketamine
- TCP
- Cardioversion
- Laryngascop
- Needle thorocostomy
- IO
- Amiodarone
- Midazolam
- 12 lead EKG interpretation

Be very careful if you are coming down here, as some providers (read: St John) have very, well, exacting (read: anal) requirements to get an authority to practice, so, you might be qualifed (ie have the degree) to execute Advanced Paramedic interventions but St John may not give you that authority because you have not fufilled thier education requirements.

If you become a full time medic you generally reach the "Paramedic" level in about 2 years.

Also note we have a funding shortfall meaning some of our trucks are single crew'd in the rural areas.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help out!

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
kiwimedic

Hi Kiwimedic,

My nephews moved to New Zealand in 2001. I have many questions about the area, that my sister in law keeps forgetting to answer, and I was wondering if I could pick your brain a bit. Please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks

Nik

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, Kiwi medic, that's clarified things for me a lot. I am a UK ambulance technician and have just passed my exams for entrance to the paramedic course which I hope to do very soon. I am also very keen to emigrate to NZ. Could you recommend what to do in order to secure work as a paramedic in NZ and also have a decent shift system so I can pursue my outdoor activities in my time off? I work for the National Health Service in UK which is really the only ambulance service that attends 999 calls. Do you think it is worth my while contacting the other services you mentioned in NZ? I have not made much progress with the St. John service....thanks again!