New York State EMT Protocols re: medications

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I am reviewing my notes, etc. so when I do get a job I will be ready for it.

How many medications can a NYS EMT work with, is it five or six. Are they listed in any one place in the DOH protocol or website.

I am thinking:

1: o2
2: glucose
3: baby asprin
4: abuterol
5: epinephrine
6: nitroglycerin

I could not find it in my class notes, but I remember the instructor saying 5....?

And also, is their one, maybe nitro, that is the patient's is discolored or expired, you can switch out a 'good' one from the bus...?

I remeber my instructor teaching there was one med you could trade bad for good...but I cant find it in my notes.

Also, are ALL of them on the bus ?

IS there a place in NYS or NYC protocols that lists it, if so please reference the section #.

Thank you in advance.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Looking at the NY state protocols, I see all of those. Your instructor may not have counted O2?

Looks like O2, Glucose, and Baby Aspirin are by standing orders (per 2008 state protocols). Epinephrine, Nitro, and Albuterol can be assisted using patient meds, or per med director using your stock meds by either standing order or online orders.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/2008-11-19_bls_protocols

Its going to be up to your medical director and system to determine what meds you actually carry. The medical director has the authority to remove things from your scope that may be within state protocols. If your system protocols allow you to switch out meds, then you can. If it doesn't explicitly say you can, a quick call to med control would likely get you permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Looking at the NY state protocols, I see all of those. Your instructor may not have counted O2?

Looks like O2, Glucose, and Baby Aspirin are by standing orders (per 2008 state protocols). Epinephrine, Nitro, and Albuterol can be assisted using patient meds, or per med director using your stock meds by either standing order or online orders.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/2008-11-19_bls_protocols

Thank you.

I have a copy of the protocols.

I guess I should look up the section(s) for each med...

My instructor did make a point o2 is a med...some reason #5 making me crazy.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Why don't you reach the NYC BLS protocols on top of that. They take precedent over NYS.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
I am reviewing my notes, etc. so when I do get a job I will be ready for it.

How many medications can a NYS EMT work with, is it five or six. Are they listed in any one place in the DOH protocol or website.

I am thinking:

1: o2
2: glucose
3: baby asprin
4: abuterol
5: epinephrine
6: nitroglycerin

I could not find it in my class notes, but I remember the instructor saying 5....?

And also, is their one, maybe nitro, that is the patient's is discolored or expired, you can switch out a 'good' one from the bus...?

I remeber my instructor teaching there was one med you could trade bad for good...but I cant find it in my notes.

Also, are ALL of them on the bus ?

IS there a place in NYS or NYC protocols that lists it, if so please reference the section #.

Thank you in advance.

What about activated charcoal? That is also considered a med in NYS protocols.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
Maybe it is not in your NYC Protocols...but it is according to NYS, as it is in those protocols, and it still is in my region's (Monroe Livingston) Protocols.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
But I can not find any DOH link about it....

I wish the protocols were in a sytematic order, by subject, instead of a collection of memos...

mar7967

Forum Crew Member