New to the EMT Life (Future EMT in the Making)

Carlyle Wilson

Forum Ride Along
What do I need to know or do when becoming an EMT?

Are there any pre-requisite classes that I need to take before entering an EMT-Basic Program?

I'm new to the world of EMT, so is there any scams or wrong information that I should watch out for?

This is a new career path that I want to pursue so I have no idea what to expect or how to go about certain things.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
there are tons of threads on this website for this question

THIS IS POSTED BY @ERDoc:
1. Listen to those who have been doing this longer, unless they say, "We've always done it this way so why should we change it."
2. Eyes and ears open at all times, this is how you will learn the practice of pre-hospital medicine and asses/treat your pt.
3. You don't need to carry 1000 things on your belt or in your cargo pants. You will find that the more a person carries, the less experienced they are.
4. When someone tells you they feel like they are going to die, be scared, because they are usually correct.
5. It's not your emergency, don't panic and your heart rate shouldn't be higher than the pt's heart rate (with a few obvious exceptions)
6. A screaming kid is a breathing kid
7. No matter how many times someone says it, seconds rarely matter, minutes might but that case is rare.
8. Light and sirens are useless most of the time
9. All bleeding stops eventually
10. Many things that are done in the field are not necessary and will be discontinued in the ER. Don't criticize the ER for doing things differently that what your protocols say.
11. Helicopters are cool but are not needed as much as they are used
12. Have fun doing the job, otherwise you will burn out quickly
13. Never be afraid to ask for help. This is both on a call when you are not sure what to do or after a call when the demons start showing up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is posted by @EpiEMS :

On operational (non-clinical matters);
1) Prepare for internal volunteer politics. Heck, be prepared, if you're in a combined career/volunteer agency, for "them versus us" situations.
2) Be nice to everyone. Everyone.
3) Be prepared for yelling. People love to yell, especially those who are useless.
4) Skip the bat belt. You (may) need shears, you need a penlight or flashlight, you need (or can borrow) a stethoscope, and you need two pairs of gloves, but you don't need a window punch, hemostats, or bandage scissors.
5) Have fun
6) Ask for help when you need it.
7) Don't endanger (or overexert) yourself. Call PD. Call FD. Call whomever you need.

On the clinical side:
1) Always wear gloves. Even better, always wear gloves and eye protection.
2) Have fun.
3) Ask for help when you need it.
4) If you have a question about a decision a higher cert provider makes that is not immediately dangerous to the patient, ask after the call. However, if you think they're doing something that you think is contraindicated, and you can back it up, say it. Say it so they hear you.
5) If you are on an ALS/BLS truck or have an ALS fly car, and the medic turfs the call to you, but you're not comfortable, DO NOT accept the patient as your responsibility.
6) Get comfy with carrying bags and moving stretchers - you're BLS, so you'll be doing that a lot.
7) Sick kids look sick, as ERDoc said.
8) Lights and sirens are generally dumb (as ERDoc said).
9) Most calls will be stupid - this is just the fact.
10) If the patient is really sick, you'll probably be able to tell.
11) Call medical control if you have to. High risk refusal? Call 'em.
12) Call ALS whenever indicated. High risk refusal? Let ALS decide, if you have the opportunity.

Neither one of these are mine, i copied and pasted.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@Carlyle Wilson my personal advice would be to find laws, and learn them, and follow them. Lawsuits are everywhere now. :p

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Which one is the most common law?
its different, but the one that everybody will be talking about is "the good Samaritan law" you can google your states dpt of health website and it will list them all, google is your best friend.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Technically speaking you would need to pass all of your classes and the National Test. Without those, you wont become an EMT.

The pre-req would be an EMR(Emergency Medical Responder) course. At least at my college it was.

I would suggest reading as many books as you can and listening to the advice, words of wisdom and experiences of others who have more then you do. Keep a good driving record, have a good work ethic, be flexible, learn to like coffee, study hard, take advice, be a team player and remember why you are becoming an EMT.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I would suggest reading as many books as you can and listening to the advice, words of wisdom and experiences of others who have more then you do. Keep a good driving record, have a good work ethic, be flexible, learn to like coffee, study hard, take advice, be a team player and remember why you are becoming an EMT.
All the advice above so far is great advice, op.

This though? This is could not be farther from the truth.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Technically speaking you would need to pass all of your classes and the National Test. Without those, you wont become an EMT.
What about State certifications? not trying to be an ***, but im not nationally registered but have a NYS EMT certification. I was allowed to take it with 0 previous "medical titles", however that is subjective

Fry14MN

What about State certifications? not trying to be an ***, but im not nationally registered but have a NYS EMT certification. I was allowed to take it with 0 previous "medical titles", however that is subjective
My instructor has us taking the National Test. Things can very from state to state and by no means am I an expert on certifications and different states. I can just speak for what I have to do and what my instructor has us doing.

Fry14MN

NysEms2117 that didn't come off as being an *** at all. Maybe I need to be corrected...

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
maybe phrasing next time should start with something along the lines of: "this is my experience, and by no means official" or "this is for my particular class things can vary" :D.

Fry14MN

In order for my classmates and I to be able to take the
maybe phrasing next time should start with something along the lines of: "this is my experience, and by no means official" or "this is for my particular class things can vary" :D.
Good call Nys!

For my classmates at my particular school you need to pass the EMR and EMT class with at least a 70% and all of the skills stations to be eligible to take the National Test.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
In order for my classmates and I to be able to take the

Good call Nys!

For my classmates at my particular school you need to pass the EMR and EMT class with at least a 70% and all of the skills stations to be eligible to take the National Test.
please dont take anything i say as me trying to yell at you, i'm just trying to help and its harder to convey via words online. I also have a more Legal/law side then EMS side so i put a disclaimer on everything. right here to be exact ->
**I am not a legal advisor, i only provide personal advice**

Fry14MN

please dont take anything i say as me trying to yell at you, i'm just trying to help and its harder to convey via words online. I also have a more Legal/law side then EMS side so i put a disclaimer on everything. right here to be exact ->
**I am not a legal advisor, i only provide personal advice**
HAHA Nys, I don't think that at all. You corrected me when I needed to be corrected. :)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
HAHA Nys, I don't think that at all. You corrected me when I needed to be corrected. :)
:D some people cannot see advice from me yelling sometimes :( that was a half future disclaimer too lol. great thing in EMS is to be able to take constructive criticism. :p

Fry14MN

:D some people cannot see advice from me yelling sometimes :( that was a half future disclaimer too lol. great thing in EMS is to be able to take constructive criticism. :p
I'll make sure to tell you if I think you are being an *** ;)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT