bmedicp

Forum Ride Along
Did not see a new member board. But I just wanted to say hey, to all of the members. I've never noticed any other emt forums anywhere else. Thought this would be pretty interesting, considering how most of us emt's are. Its definitely not a job for just anyone. Anyone have any questions, ask me. Would love to learn about other places and how they operate. Thanks.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I'm also new to this forum, so hello everyone. I took the EMT-Basic class in Connecticut and I'm currently going through the NREMT-B testing. I'm a probationary member on a volunteer first aid squad. I will be a full member once I have passed the test. I have made enough calls already to become a full member (all new members go through probation until they make 20% of the yearly calls which is about 30-40. I have 32 under my belt, so I should be okay. I took the testing already and failed both the written and practical :/ but that made me jump into overdrive on studying for my next attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bmedicp

Forum Ride Along
Just remember, what you know on the streets, basically has nothing to do whats on the test. lol. Pass the test and start learning from there. Good luck man

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Just remember, what you know on the streets, basically has nothing to do whats on the test. lol. Pass the test and start learning from there. Good luck man

Yes, I am keeping a lot of my medical assessments as close to the skill sheets as I can. I haven't come across a full trauma yet, so I haven't done a trauma assessment outside the testing yet.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

My practice and a lot of text books actually resemble each other pretty closely...

OP
OP
B

bmedicp

Forum Ride Along
What I meant by my quote was........the real learning, starts when you are done with tests and its you and your partner. I agree about treatment and textbooks, but the textbook and protocols, give you a baseline, a paramedic or basic, learns something new, everyday, by working in ems. National registry usually gives you a few right answers, but could never compare to making a true, life or death decision. A test is a test, a life is a life. Either way, you will do fine. I walked into ems, with no experience, and had no clue what I was getting into. haha And if I made it. You will. Do what you love, love what you do.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
What I learned in my class formed the backbone to my medical assessment and treatment. You'll learn that, if you follow that backbone, you'll be golden, but sometimes you have to think outside the box. The book doesn't tell you everything, and I think that's on purpose, to show you that sometimes all the answers haven't been given to you.

Good luck!!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
You are right I do enjoy learning about other states, and areas inside the states, of how different they are.

Makes me remember that things are not so bad here as I sometimes feel.

mpc83

Forum Probie
Hey i'm a newbie too! In South Carolina currently but maybe relocating at the end of the year to KY. I test for Emt-b in 3 weeks and looking forward to it. I really loved the county service i did my preceptorship with and can't wait to hit the street. is it worth it to jump in and take an EMT-I class?