New Licensed EMT with a DUI on Driving Record but, Never Convicted

Bighurk

Forum Probie
Hey guys, sorry for posting anything like this on this forum but I've searched all over Google and other forums with no luck and I know some of you have had DUI experiences or know of a co-worker who had a DUI in the past... Please don't put me down. I graduated the EMT program back in December 2010 and recently became license and am now working as an EMT at a theme park. :)

I was arrested for a DUI and Possession of Controlled Substance (UNTRUE) in August of 2009. The drug part: Empty bag of protein Powder. I was detained at the Police Station and later released around 5 AM. The police officer had me do a field sobriety check and I had no problem with it and then he made me do a breathalyzer which according to him was a 0.11 I never even looked at breathalyzer and a couple of hours later he made me do another breath test and after that I did a blood test. All this was 2 years ago.

I called DMV in April to see if I can get the DUI off my driving record since I was never convicted and the person on the phone had told me that if I can get a letter from the police dept saying that it was an unlawful arrest then they would be able to take it off my record. After that, I asked a the police station and they told me to contact the detective and everything but with no luck then I was sent to the supervisor of the Records Bureau and they had told me to sign a petition to seal my record (Penal Code 851.8) and then once approved they can seal up my criminal record.

I called DMV again today and they told me that there was no way to take the DUI off my record and I had to wait 13 years for it to come off because I admitted to the DMV hearing. The reason for that was because I didnt now what to do at that point 2 years ago and had thought that's how I can get a restricted license.

I know I screwed up big time for even driving in the first place but I really need some help, I am afraid that with that on my record, no ambulance companies will take me in for another 2-3 years. At this point I do not have a job and with no experience with anything else but a certification in EMT.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a way in which I can clear up my DMV record? Please reply to this post or contact me via PM.

Any help from someone is much appreciated! Thanks!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
To be honest, no, you won't find an ambulance service that will hire you in all liklihood. Good luck.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You will need to contact a lawyer.

As for advice, our rules state:
No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship
Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
There are guys around here with DUIs on their record (convicted) that are employed. And yes, they can drive the rig. One just got hired with a fire department in an affluent local community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Some companies may prohibit you from driving the ambulance for a period of time beyond your licence suspension, other than that, a DUI shouldn't be a prohibition from working in the back.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Forum Probie
Some companies may prohibit you from driving the ambulance for a period of time beyond your licence suspension, other than that, a DUI shouldn't be a prohibition from working in the back.
But here is the thing, in my county, there are 2 EMTs on the BLS rig and 1 EMT / 1 Medic in the ALS rig. They are all required to drive. :( It is very unfortunate that I made this mistake 2 years ago, as of now, I am going to try my hardest to become an EMT.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In NM any vehicle that someone convicted of a DUI MIGHT drive at work or home, is required to have a breathalyser interlock installed, which means NM services will NOT hire anyone with a DUI

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
But here is the thing, in my county, there are 2 EMTs on the BLS rig and 1 EMT / 1 Medic in the ALS rig. They are all required to drive. :( It is very unfortunate that I made this mistake 2 years ago, as of now, I am going to try my hardest to become an EMT.

So suck it up and work for a private company.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

Don't give up. Get your medic, you'll be more appealing to prospective employers.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

Or a Fire Department, county, third service, flight, international service, ER, etc.

You're not limited to the privates, just because of a DUI.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
If you were never convicted, then how is this a problem? It shouldn't be on your record.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Forum Probie

I never said I wouldnt work for a private company, I just need to find one.

Don't give up. Get your medic, you'll be more appealing to prospective employers.

I don't want to go to medic school just yet, I would like to gain some exp. as an EMT first before starting.

Anyway, thanks.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Forum Probie
Or a Fire Department, county, third service, flight, international service, ER, etc.

I know. I know there are other options besides EMT on a rig. Thanks

If you were never convicted, then how is this a problem? It shouldn't be on your record.

It is because the DUI is on my Driving Record, just not my background.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Unfortunately, the odds are not in the OP's favor. Supply and demand in many places provide an ample number of Paramedic candidates that have a clean record. Flight and International especially, most of whom will not remotely consider an applicant with a DUI. from personal experience I can share that when I was a manager and hired flight medics or nurses, those with a criminal record were not even interviewed. Most international firms cannot hire anyone with a criminal record based on the potential job location and visa requirements with the host nation.

That's at the Paramedic level, EMT's are a whole different ball game. There are WAY too many candidates without a criminal record that are available to employers to even remotely consider an EMT with a current record.

OP, continue your education. Get your medic and allow time to heal any blemishes on your record. Be understanding of the reality of your situation, but don't give up and don't give in.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

The arrest will still show up if they pull his driving record and the arrest will show up on his criminal record. Talk to a lawyer, there are ways of removing things from your permanent record but it takes money.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Hmm, interesting. Our arrests are on our records, but cleared if there is not a conviction.

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Forum Probie
Unfortunately, the odds are not in the OP's favor. Supply and demand in many places provide an ample number of Paramedic candidates that have a clean record. Flight and International especially, most of whom will not remotely consider an applicant with a DUI. from personal experience I can share that when I was a manager and hired flight medics or nurses, those with a criminal record were not even interviewed. Most international firms cannot hire anyone with a criminal record based on the potential job location and visa requirements with the host nation.

That's at the Paramedic level, EMT's are a whole different ball game. There are WAY too many candidates without a criminal record that are available to employers to even remotely consider an EMT with a current record.

OP, continue your education. Get your medic and allow time to heal any blemishes on your record. Be understanding of the reality of your situation, but don't give up and don't give in.

Thank You! I currently don't have anything on my criminal record, would I still not be able to do flight EMT?

The arrest will still show up if they pull his driving record and the arrest will show up on his criminal record. Talk to a lawyer, there are ways of removing things from your permanent record but it takes money.

I will try to look into it, thanks.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank You! I currently don't have anything on my criminal record, would I still not be able to do flight EMT?

It may still cause an issue. Most flight services will run a complete background check, including a driving records. As such, it will show up. In addition, many services based out of airports are increasing their security to require background checks for airport access. It may cause an issue there as well.

EMT's typically do not work in an aviation environment. Honestly, there is no need. As a Paramedic, your application will be up against some stiff competition. When you have flight services turning down applicants with great experience and credentials due to the competitive nature of the industry, then a DUI on a driving record is really going to hurt you.

But, alas, times can and typically do change. Again, keep your head up, learn from your mistakes, and carry on...............................

OP
OP
Bighurk

Bighurk

Forum Probie
It may still cause an issue. Most flight services will run a complete background check, including a driving records. As such, it will show up. In addition, many services based out of airports are increasing their security to require background checks for airport access. It may cause an issue there as well.

EMT's typically do not work in an aviation environment. Honestly, there is no need. As a Paramedic, your application will be up against some stiff competition. When you have flight services turning down applicants with great experience and credentials due to the competitive nature of the industry, then a DUI on a driving record is really going to hurt you.

But, alas, times can and typically do change. Again, keep your head up, learn from your mistakes, and carry on...............................

Thanks! That's just what I needed to hear. :D