New in here from New Orleans

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
Hi, everyone! I've lurked around here from time to time over the past few years and this is probably my second or third username (the memory isn't quite what it used to be), but I'd like to stick around this time to meet folks and learn a few things.

I've lived in New Orleans for over 13 years, been in EMS for a bit over 7. I'm a new paramedic - finally - after putting off school for several years due to being in a fairly busy local rock band. After Hurricane Katrina blew the band away I got myself into a P class and, well, here I am...suddenly seeing this job in an entirely new light. After working as a Basic for so long and perhaps feeling a little too comfortable in my role, I'm entering into a whole new realm of reality. It's a jolt I definitely needed.

For a little work background...I started out at a local/regional private ambulance service doing nonemergent transfers and dialysis transports, "granny-go-home's" and occasional 911 backup calls. It was a good way for a fresh-from-school EMT-B to get my feet wet and learn the basics, but once the initial challenge of becoming familiar with EMS was over I grew bored with the monotony. Five years ago I was hired on at the 911 service provider for Orleans Parish, a municipal third service, and it's been a ride ever since. We are a high-volume, high-intensity service and I am challenged every day by my patients and the environment we work in (murder capital of the USA + unhealthy/obese population = busy busy busy). It's definitely a make-or-break arena for a new paramedic, so I'm looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to improve my skills and clinical judgement.

How many of you are working for an urban service? Did you start out as a new paramedic there? I'd love to compare notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Hello and welcome aboard!