New EMT

sbriley19

Forum Ride Along
I just recently got my National Registry card and have applied for my local license. Right now I am job hunting and was wondering if any one had some advice. There is a job opening in a town about an hour from where I live and it says that it is 24 hour shifts and per diem. It is one of the only openings I have seen for an EMT in my area. Any thoughts about that type of shift and what it means. Also I have never had a job as an EMT and have had only 20 or so hours on a truck and even then it seemed that I didnt really get to put some of what I learned to the test. I am really nervous about actually working on an ambulance because that is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. It is one thing to practice all of the skills in class but then to get out and do them on real patients seems intimidating and I worry that I will choke and forget. Any advice or tips on how to get past that?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Welcome to EMS and welcome to the site. You can find all the information your asking for by using the search function.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Be patient, it may be awhile before you land that first emt job. PRN means "as needed."

emtwilson

Forum Ride Along
Welcome to EMTLife!

I think your best bet is to search what county your in, go to that website and look up what ambulances serve that area. Because an hour away isn't too bad, but you'll always wanna leave two hours early so as not to hit traffic and that's where it becomes exhausting to arrive every day and go home. That's no bueno.

So try your county EMS website and see what they have their. That's how I got my job :)

Tspeth22

Forum Ride Along
Find websites to all of your local ambulance companies and see if they are accepting apps, also call and ask. I even showed up in person to pick up apps and turn them in and just keep calling, worked for my I just landed my first emt job. I happened to call them a day before their last day of interviews and the following week got the job! Good luck