New EMT To Be (Hopefully)

ride2k

Forum Crew Member
I have become a member of our towns volunteer Emergency Medical Services. I am 16 and so far I have attended the meetings, and gone on some ride-alongs which have mostly involved hanging out with the paid staff. I have been on two calls so far. One was a truck on fire, nobody was injured, so we just hung out and watched, the second was a syncope call for a 99 year old lady at a restaurant. I was not with the ambulance at the time, but a friend picked me up on the way to the call and I got to ride in the back to the ER, watch, and help out as much I was able. It's been awesome so far.
I am looking to take an EMT-B class, just waiting for it to be aproved by the state. They are doing screenings too I guess, because there are so many people who want to take the class and they don't want a lot of people who won't take it seriously and will fail. I definately want to take this seriously.

Any advice or tips for me?

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
hey im a jr emt my self and i start my emt-b in march. my advice to you is ride as much as you can. ask your boss or captain, whoever is in charge if you could ride like once a week with a certain team on a certain day. thats what i do and it helps alot. i ride mostly 12 hour shifts form 6am to 6pm and we get like 1 to 7 calls a night depending how busy it is. you said you were 16, at least where i live , which happens to be in NY you have to be 18 before you test out so you might want to keep that in mind. if you have any other ?s you can IM me my AIM sn is bassman1490 or just send me a pm

OP
OP
ride2k

ride2k

Forum Crew Member
Thanks. Around here you can take a class at 16. Many of my friends have done this. I have been doing some ride-alongs on Fridays. Last Friday we had exams and I ahd two study halls so I was there from 7:30 in the morning to around 6:30 at night. We got one call, which of course for me was dissapointing. Been wanting to see more, but I'll just give it time.
It helps that I knew a few of the guys too. Met them because of my syncope condition... yea, multiple transports. The school is liable. Their very cool though, great EMT's.

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
ok james mr emt save the world, im just kiddin with ya. you just wait ill get ya back james

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ok james mr emt save the world, im just kiddin with ya. you just wait ill get ya back james

seriously though, if you ever listen to dispatch they say it quite a bit for calls..plus you learn it in class anyways, and it was on my written also

Megz7464

Forum Probie
Im about to start my classes for emt-b february 5th.i have been doing ride alongs also, tryin to get in as much info as i can. so anyone else that are taking classes or gettin ready to start let me know. ^_^

bassman1490

Forum Crew Member
i start my classes in march and am curently riding along. hey james did you get your card yet. its been like 4 weeks hasnt it.