New EMT-SD County

How are Palomar's health programs? I'm debating going to Palomar or UCR for my anatomy and medic classes. There both the same distance from me(45-50mi).
Well so far my experience in the EMT program has been very good. They are very professional, and everyone I have talked to has had nothing but good to say about their medic program.

Hey corndoggy , that's great ! Congrats on the new job . Rural Metro's in SD now ????? They must've really improved , years ago they were considered really bad . Could you fill me in , when I was there there was Schaefer , Southwest , Hartson , ( who also had the city PM contract ) , Balboa , and Air evac . What companies are down there now ? Is Schaefer still active ? How did the east county make out in the fires ? Did Crest or Alpine burn ? Pretty much all the news zoomed in on was Rancho Bernardo . Just like Katrina when they focued on New Orleans .

Craig
Well, I am pretty new at this but I will give you what companies I know of; AMR(of course), Rural Metro, Pacific, AmeriCare, Care, Balboa, Priority One, and a few other smaler companies as well that I am forgetting. Thanks for your concern about us here in SD. I am happy to report that to the extent of my knowledge Crest and Alpine are fine. Don't hold me to that since I am basing that off of the fact that I haven't heard anything negative regarding them. I am sure that if there were any problems, that no homes were burned. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. Thanks a bunch for the congrats! It turns out that Stephanie (who is also posting on this thread) got hired along with me and we are sitting next to each other in orientation... what a trip! Rural Metro is very well organized here in SD county. They are partners with the SD FD, so we get to work alongside the city firefighters, which equals great opportunities and experience!

Helpful tips

Hi corndoggy ,
Thanks for the info . Boy , how times have changed ! Rural Metro used to be really looked down on by everybody . They must've really gotten thier act together to get the city contract . Are you doing just 911 or interfacilities too ? You'll see a lot of action . I used to average 10 - 14 calls in a 24hr shift with Schaefer . ( bummer , they're not still there ) My record was 18 on the New Year's eve from he--. Three and a half hours paperwork after the shift . You can learn a whole lot from a good partner and the old timers . Be a sponge . Soak up all you can . Watch out in the gang areas . Remember , crew safety is #1 priority . If it doesn't feel safe , don't go in wait for PD . Martial arts training can help both as a stress reliever and for obvious self defense reasons . If you're interested , I can reccomend AAmerican Colleges of Karate . That's where I trained . They teach AAM - KA JUTSU , an american eclectic martial art that gives you more options in dealing with violent pts. ( joint locks , pressure points , and takedowns as well as good old fashion attitude adjusting if you need to get nasty . ) Work on knowing your area . There's no substitute for firsthand knowledge , so drive it all you can . When you're mapping calls , use the cross street before a turn or the scene as a warning street to give the driver a heads up . You'll feel like a mouse in a maze in some of the big housing tracts at night , so learn to look for landmarks on the way in to help you coming out . Watch out on the freeway calls , people are nuts and they'll run flare lays . You'll learn about creative extrication from some of the old pre - world war 2 houses in North Park . 90 degree turns , narrow hallways , etc . Finally , never try to take report from an excited philipino CNA , you get gibberish like sea sores for siezures and chicken breath fot she can't breathe .

Back