New EMT - Looking for some advice

bmartin712

Forum Ride Along
Long story short: I’m new at this and could use some advice

I got my EMT-B last summer, I graduated college in May. I want to eventually go back to graduate school for nursing but in the mean time I’m very excited about the idea of working as an EMT. I was able to do a little work with the EMS club at my university – but nothing too much. I want to try to get a job as an EMT-B now but I’m kind of lost.

If anyone has any advice about whether as a new EMT it would be better for me to look for a hospital setting? or more a private company? or a fire department? etc?

I’ve also never been good at interviews: any advice about what I should prepare for? What kind of questions I may be asked during an interview?

I’ve been poking around EMTLife for a little while and have enjoyed reading what everyone has written, but today I decided I should join up because I want to get serious about this and figured you all might have some input for me.

I’m sure I’ll come up with more questions later as well :)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Welcome!

All depends on what you want. You said you want to be a nurse eventually, so I would say being a tech would be your best bet--- can generally work as an EMT, and watch what nurses do so you can decide if you want to go that route, and tends to pay better then private ambulance.

As for interviews, it's pretty much like any other professional job. Wear a suit, be confident, shake hands etc etc. I really wasn't asked any EMS related questions when applying other then the cliche "Why EMS?"

ClarkEMS

Forum Probie
Hey, I am also a new EMT, welcome! I am not looking to be a nurse or anything, but my experience with the private ambulance and fire department ambulance has been really great. Both have different qualities to them and I felt like each one taught me something new each shift. As for what route you should go, I would agree with Linuss, though the field experience is also good to have, primarily because you get a feel for what it is like to be on the ambulance especially if in the future you will be on the receiving end of a C-Med.

As for interviewing, it is really like a normal job interview, look presentable. Represent yourself to the best of your abilities. In my interview the asked if I had any EMS experience, previous jobs, and why I wanted to work for them. Be prepared to answer these and no matter what you will be all set.
Well, hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
All depends on what you want. You said you want to be a nurse eventually, so I would say being a tech would be your best bet---

I would like to echo Linuss suggestion. My Fiancee was an EMT-B and CNA going into nursing school. She worked as a Tech in the ER and did such a great job that they hired her in the ER right out of nursing school.