New EMT-I student to the forum 8D

Toxicity

Forum Ride Along
Finally found a decent forum to talk to people on!

I'm an EMT-I student in Atlanta and was looking for other people I could talk to in terms of what I could be doing right now to get experience while I go through school and stuff.

I'm in my 3rd of 6 "terms" at an EMS private school, currently learning pharmacology and trauma and starting IV's soon. I go on my first clinical next week, also, and am both excited and a bit nervous.

So...I suppose that's my short introduction. Nice to meet all of you! :)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you starting from Basic? What level of Intermediate are you going for?

OP
OP
Toxicity

Toxicity

Forum Ride Along
Our school includes the Basic with our Intermediate training in a 9 month program.

In Georgia it's just EMT-b, EMT-I/85 (EMT-I/99 isn't recognized in Georgia) and then EMT-P. However I believe later this year or beginning of next year they are changing to an EMT Advanced which is a level above EMT-I before EMT-P, and we will have a bridge program.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Our school includes the Basic with our Intermediate training in a 9 month program.

In Georgia it's just EMT-b, EMT-I/85 (EMT-I/99 isn't recognized in Georgia) and then EMT-P. However I believe later this year or beginning of next year they are changing to an EMT Advanced which is a level above EMT-I before EMT-P, and we will have a bridge program.

Sounds like a cool program. I went to a school that did something similar.

Of course our EMT-I was about 15% below the 99 standard (IVs, ETT, EKG, cardiac meds, D50, etc) but we tested for 85 as we didn't meet the 99 standard. So we get to take a bridge course that teaches us less than what we already know.

Boduke

Forum Ride Along
That does seem like a cool program. Over here in Texas at my school, it's 6 months EMT-B and then straight to EMT-P school for a year and a half